Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1
qtip919
macrumors 6502

Hooking up a powerbook lineout audio to an HDTV?

Hi,

I have a philips LCD HDTV, and I have connected the TV using a DVI > HDMI cable. Now, since the HDMI cable is supposed to take sound from its original source, I am now faced with trying to figure out how to get sound off of the powerbook.

There is a digital audio "in" jack that the TV can use across all of it's inputs, but I was wondering if a powerbook's line out headphone jack can be used for this input.

So, I guess my question is if there is a cable that allows for this and if this is even possible

thanks!
qtip919 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:26 AM   #2
qtip919
macrumors 6502

Note: I have the 1.5ghz powerbook (which I guess was not equipped with digital line-out like the following version)
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

I do not have the answer about the audio, but I also have a Phillips HDTV and I'm interested in the picture quality your PowerBook generates. Soon, I will be doing a similar hookup to yours, so everything is relevant here. Hopefully the answer pops up.

Edit: For audio in on the tv, you could just get a miniplug to rca converter and use the standard L/R plugs for audio. I'd imagine that is the best quality to come out of the PB.
Superdrive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:55 AM   #4
qtip919
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrive
I do not have the answer about the audio, but I also have a Phillips HDTV and I'm interested in the picture quality your PowerBook generates. Soon, I will be doing a similar hookup to yours, so everything is relevant here. Hopefully the answer pops up.

Edit: For audio in on the tv, you could just get a miniplug to rca converter and use the standard L/R plugs for audio. I'd imagine that is the best quality to come out of the PB.
The video is FANTASTIC

The samsung 40" lcd down at my local fry's seemed a tiny bit better, but not enough to warrant the 600+ dollars

the Philips is down at costco for 1999 and since its costco, you dont need to buy the extra service contract, saving you hundreds after its all said and done

The only problem with your suggestion for audio is that there is a dedicated audio L/R port for each AV port. The HDMI port however does not have this since the audio is supposed to be picked up through the HDMI interface itself.

However, there is a shared digital audio "in" port which can be used for any AV input (for which there are like 7 - 2 Component in (HD), 2 HDMI, 2 or 3 analog video)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs