Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Hi,

I have a philips LCD HDTV, and I have connected the TV using a DVI > HDMI cable. Now, since the HDMI cable is supposed to take sound from its original source, I am now faced with trying to figure out how to get sound off of the powerbook.

There is a digital audio "in" jack that the TV can use across all of it's inputs, but I was wondering if a powerbook's line out headphone jack can be used for this input.

So, I guess my question is if there is a cable that allows for this and if this is even possible

thanks!

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Note: I have the 1.5ghz powerbook (which I guess was not equipped with digital line-out like the following version)

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I do not have the answer about the audio, but I also have a Phillips HDTV and I'm interested in the picture quality your PowerBook generates. Soon, I will be doing a similar hookup to yours, so everything is relevant here. Hopefully the answer pops up.

Edit: For audio in on the tv, you could just get a miniplug to rca converter and use the standard L/R plugs for audio. I'd imagine that is the best quality to come out of the PB.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Superdrive said:
I do not have the answer about the audio, but I also have a Phillips HDTV and I'm interested in the picture quality your PowerBook generates. Soon, I will be doing a similar hookup to yours, so everything is relevant here. Hopefully the answer pops up.

Edit: For audio in on the tv, you could just get a miniplug to rca converter and use the standard L/R plugs for audio. I'd imagine that is the best quality to come out of the PB.

The video is FANTASTIC

The samsung 40" lcd down at my local fry's seemed a tiny bit better, but not enough to warrant the 600+ dollars

the Philips is down at costco for 1999 and since its costco, you dont need to buy the extra service contract, saving you hundreds after its all said and done

The only problem with your suggestion for audio is that there is a dedicated audio L/R port for each AV port. The HDMI port however does not have this since the audio is supposed to be picked up through the HDMI interface itself.

However, there is a shared digital audio "in" port which can be used for any AV input (for which there are like 7 - 2 Component in (HD), 2 HDMI, 2 or 3 analog video)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.