Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I'm making a game right now and thinking about the possibility of providing way for users to produce and share their own levels for the game.

To help incentivize people to do that, I figure I could operate an in-app marketplace where users can buy and sell their custom levels.

Would that be permissible in a game distributed on the iOS and Mac App Stores, or is there some rule that I'd be violating by having such a feature in my game?

If this is permissible, how would you recommend I do this? One possibility I considered:

I could have users buy virtual currency via IAP and then transfer that currency to whoever created the level upon the purchase of a custom level. The creator could then spend their virtual currency on other custom levels, or they could provide me with, IE, their PayPal information and I could pay them through that. Or I could mail them a check. Or could I somehow send it via direct deposit like Apple does for app developers? Obviously I'd be taking a cut of the money so I'm okay if whatever I end up doing has a small fee associated with it.

I'm just looking for other suggestions of how to do this.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
One solution might be to have them submit the levels to a site where you check them for quality and then put them in a secured area of the site that requires login and charge for the download.

I'm not sure of the Apple rules, IIRC, Apple had a problem in the past with some sites that were selling subscriptions. They (Apple) wanted everything to go through Apple, the app was just a front for the site where the real value was.

Something like a news site that charges for access and has an app to access the site. The real value is not the app, it's the content.

Apple seemed to want a cut of the content.

This is like the SaaS (software as a service) where you "rent" or purchase the content.

Publishers are having a hard time getting paid for content and Apple doesn't AFAIK, have a solution for this.

IMO, Apple charges a fee (30%) for hosting the system that makes it simple and secure (including transaction fees) to offer content for sale or rent.

Having a site where people can purchase things within your app has to be allowed, otherwise WalMart, TacoBell and others couldn't have a native app to sell their products.

Shouldn't be too hard to set up a site that's basically like a WalMart where people can make purchases.

Another issue that I don't think has been addressed is Customer Loyalty. Maybe this could offer some insight:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/mobile-apps-to-digitize-your-customer-loyalty-program/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.