Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Have any of you seen the gorgeous OLED phones, TVs and now tablets? Like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" and 10.5" ones? The screens are literally night and day superior to the LCD displays in iPads. I almost pulled the trigger on the 10.5 when I saw it but I'm holding out for a larger form factor (12" or larger).

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
That's ridiculous. OLED is destroying LCD in quality and LCD is going the way of the dinosaur. Something will be replacing LCD and if not OLED then what?

I like AMOLED more ...I'm just telling you what Apple won't be doing . First off it's just another thing they would have to deal with Samsung with and plus Samsung won't be give away their most newest tech to Apple of all people . Reviews state the nexus 6 AMOLED screen is good but note 4 is great

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
I like AMOLED more ...I'm just telling you what Apple won't be doing . First off it's just another thing they would have to deal with Samsung with and plus Samsung won't be give away their most newest tech to Apple of all people . Reviews state the nexus 6 AMOLED screen is good but note 4 is great

Samsung isn't the only company making OLED screens. LG is as well, and so are some Chinese and Japanese companies (a Chinese company just announced 3.5B US investment in a manufacturing facility coming online mid next year).

As for quality nothing can touch OLED - once you go see one of the Galaxy Tab S models in a Best Buy you won't want an LCD-based tablet ever again.

So I'm not sure what you think Apple will do - stay LCD forever, when manufacturers stop producing it? Or when it's not even as current as it is now (which isn't very since it's 25 year-old tech)?

Look at the comments on this LG OLED TV review - best TV picture they've ever seen.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

OLED TV: Best. Picture. Ever.

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Samsung isn't the only company making OLED screens. LG is as well, and so are some Chinese and Japanese companies (a Chinese company just announced 3.5B US investment in a manufacturing facility coming online mid next year).

As for quality nothing can touch OLED - once you go see one of the Galaxy Tab S models in a Best Buy you won't want an LCD-based tablet ever again.

So I'm not sure what you think Apple will do - stay LCD forever, when manufacturers stop producing it? Or when it's not even as current as it is now (which isn't very since it's 25 year-old tech)?

Look at the comments on this LG OLED TV review - best TV picture they've ever seen.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

LG doesn't make small screen OLED screens and that market is done by Samsung.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Looking at my 6 compared to my friends S5, I don't think OLED is ready. Side angles are poor, and colors don't look accurate. OLED might be the future, but right now it is pretty poor in many aspects, strong in others. Also apparently from my reading it can use 3x more power when displaying white pixels than traditional LCD's. Lots of white on IOS...

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Looking at my 6 compared to my friends S5, I don't think OLED is ready. Side angles are poor, and colors don't look accurate. OLED might be the future, but right now it is pretty poor in many aspects, strong in others. Also apparently from my reading it can use 3x more power when displaying white pixels than traditional LCD's. Lots of white on IOS...

Odd you'd say that since DisplayMate (unibiased third-party testing lab for nothing but displays) declared the S5 OLED screen as the best cellphone screen that they've ever tested.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, which we present in detail below, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested – and it has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

----------

Also I might mention that the new Apple Watch is using an OLED screen...

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Odd you'd say that since DisplayMate (unibiased third-party testing lab for nothing but displays) declared the S5 OLED screen as the best cellphone screen that they've ever tested.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

----------

Also I might mention that the new Apple Watch is using an OLED screen...

Interesting because I can show you plenty of other articles that name the S5 display as pretty low on the metric.

But like I said from looking at my friends S5 to my 6, the screen was very much lacking in colors and angle.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Interesting because I can show you plenty of other articles that name the S5 display as pretty low on the metric.

But like I said from looking at my friends S5 to my 6, the screen was very much lacking in colors and angle.
Go on then?

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The screens are literally night and day superior to the LCD displays in iPads.

It's funny, because we know the Apple fanboys will say that LCD is infinitely better, until when Apple makes the change to OLED, at which point the same fanboys will claim it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It's funny, because we know the Apple fanboys will say that LCD is infinitely better, until when Apple makes the change to OLED, at which point the same fanboys will claim it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.
I love amoled screens and basically got laughed off as an idiot on imore. One guy said LED and LCD are different like note 4 is "LED" and Ipad is "LCD" when ipads use led which means it uses led as the backlight. I explained it to him the 3 main types of tvs and he still thought I was stupid.

If Apple does use AMOLED it won't be for a while Imo

----------

My note 4 is white and I have used an s2, s3, s4, note 3 and note 4 and a Motorola Droid Turbo and angles are great. Color reproduction is fantastic on the note 4

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Having switched to an iPhone 6, I definitely miss the AMOLED screen on the Moto X. Much better contrast. Reading apps with a true black background are stunningly clear, easy on the eyes, and draw much less battery since they are only powering the pixels in the text itself. It also enabled the Moto X's killer active display feature. If I could have run iOS on the Moto X, I'd still be a very happy owner...

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I don't really know the difference betweent the AMOLED and OLED screens, but the screens that Samsung puts in it's devices look terrible to me. The colors just look...too vibrant...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't really know the difference betweent the AMOLED and OLED screens, but the screens that Samsung puts in it's devices look terrible to me. The colors just look...too vibrant...
And when is the last time you used one? The note 4 is perfect.

AMOLED is a Form of OLED. Active matrix organic light emiting diode. There's also PMOLED which is passive matrix but not sure who uses those.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Except for that pesky screen burn-in.

Of which there isn't any. LG's chief display company officer was quoted as stating OLED display lifetimes of 50,000 hours, which is as good/better than plasma and LCD. And I've yet to see any real-world example of production OLED screens that show any persistent burnin effect. Can you show any from a reputable site so we know they aren't photoshops?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Except for that pesky screen burn-in and <1000 hr lifespan for full blue pixel output...

What burn in ? I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S2, s3, s4 , note 3 and note 4 and none have burn in .... Seriously if you have never used one no valid experience using it

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Until this year (Note 4) OLED was subpar to a well calibrated, high quality LCD in my opinion. Ghosting, over-saturation, more power consumption with bright interfaces, colour shifts etc

But now, maybe Apple will consider it.

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2014
They are indeed over saturated out of the box, but you can adjust them to look more natural.
66891d1367550398t-what-your-screen-mode-setting-screenshot_2013-05-02-22-59-54.jpg

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014

Problem is none of them are display experts. DisplayMate are THE display experts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.