Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
For my father who has a older Macbook Pro that's up-to-date.

While folders on the desktop and the files within can be dragged and dropped, files in the Downloads or Documents folders cannot. I've tried the sleep/wake, relaunch Finder (not sure that performed correctly) and restart/shutdown workarounds but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated as would an explanation for the trouble.

Thanks so much and happy new year.

VFN

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
While folders on the desktop and the files within can be dragged and dropped, files in the Downloads or Documents folders cannot. I've tried the sleep/wake, relaunch Finder (not sure that performed correctly) and restart/shutdown workarounds but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated as would an explanation for the trouble.

What do you mean they cannot be dragged and dropped? Are they snapping to the grid or cannot be moved from the location? Is it asking for the administrator password?

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
What do you mean they cannot be dragged and dropped? Are they snapping to the grid or cannot be moved from the location? Is it asking for the administrator password?

Can't be moved. You can click on them but can't drag them. No to your other two questions. It also seems that a two finger click does not bring up the file menu. Clicking on them does open them however.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Can't be moved. You can click on them but can't drag them. No to your other two questions. It also seems that a two finger click does not bring up the file menu. Clicking on them does open them however.

Does he have read and write access in in the Get Info window for that folder?

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Go to the folder in Finder and right click and hit "Get Info". At the bottom of the window ensure that the user has read & write permissions.

How do I "go to the folder in Finder?"

I will have to do this over the phone tomorrow so I'll reply some time then to tell you.

Thanks.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Check the permissions on the files and repair permissions in Disk Utility.

He ran Repair Disk Permissions last night and the issue remains. How does he check permissions of the files if he can't bring up the right-click menu for those files?

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
This article may be of some assistance.

Thanks, I ran into that myself while searching.

The issue is actually a minor one for my father because of what he uses his Mac for and he plans to go to the Apple store in time. When we learn about the cause and fix I'll post back.

Thanks for working with me and happy new year.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
My first hunch--which I thought couldn't be correct because it seems to make no sense--was the issue was related to an update. Turns out that's what my father was told: That an update to Yosemite (I believe that's the name he told me) now locks files within those two folders but only when opened from the desktop. If you open them through Finder they can be moved.

Does this seem right to you, because it really doesn't make much sense to me. Why would Apple redesign things in what appears to be an absolutely nonsensical manner?

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My first hunch--which I thought couldn't be correct because it seems to make no sense--was the issue was related to an update. Turns out that's what my father was told: That an update to Yosemite (I believe that's the name he told me) now locks files within those two folders but only when opened from the desktop. If you open them through Finder they can be moved.

Does this seem right to you, because it really doesn't make much sense to me. Why would Apple redesign things in what appears to be an absolutely nonsensical manner?

Thanks.

I can still move files anywhere on my desktop in Yosemite. Is this an issue where they are snapping to the grid? Can he drag them to other folders or the trash?

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
I can still move files anywhere on my desktop in Yosemite. Is this an issue where they are snapping to the grid? Can he drag them to other folders or the trash?

You can move files from the Documents and Downloads folders when accessed through the desktop?

He said he can't move at all any files from these two folders when accessed from the desktop but I'll ask again about snapping --which I expect means it can be moved but when released snaps back to it's original location? If he opens Finder and accesses them through there there's no problem.

The reason I said this doesn't make sense is of course self-evident: Why prevent file movement one way and not the other?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You can move files from the Documents and Downloads folders when accessed through the desktop?

He said he can't move at all any files from these two folders when accessed from the desktop but I'll ask again about snapping --which I expect means it can be moved but when released snaps back to it's original location? If he opens Finder and accesses them through there there's no problem.

The reason I said this doesn't make sense is of course self-evident: Why prevent file movement one way and not the other?

I can open a Finder window which has the documents or downloads folder open and drag to and from the desktop without issue.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
I can open a Finder window which has the documents or downloads folder open and drag to and from the desktop without issue.

So if you open the Documents or Downloads folders from the Dock and try to move files you have an issue?

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
No. I can drag and drop from the Stacks on the Dock without issue.

Just to be sure, Stacks means the folders on the Dock?

So do you have any idea why my father's Mac has an issue that you don't and/or he was told at the Apple store that it's due to updating to Yosemite?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just to be sure, Stacks means the folders on the Dock?

So do you have any idea why my father's Mac has an issue that you don't and/or he was told at the Apple store that it's due to updating to Yosemite?

Yes. It works fine here running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.