Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
Hi All,

I am in search of a new router and one that will actually stay connected, is reliable and actually has decent speed. I am replacing a Linksys E2500 that has been a real headache with my Comcast modem and needs a reset each month to maintain speeds.

I have it narrowed down to a good quality Asus RT-N56U or the airport express. I prefer Apple if it's just as good. I have a 50mb/s Comcast plan and live in a small ranch condo without a basement so range isn't a serious issue for me. My primary use is streaming HD media, Hulu, Netflix and also downloading games as needed. I don't do any network storage or anything else so I don't need to spend $200 on a top of the line router wth a bunch of features I'll never use.

Is the express a solid choice for me?

Rob

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Hi All,

I am in search of a new router and one that will actually stay connected, is reliable and actually has decent speed. I am replacing a Linksys E2500 that has been a real headache with my Comcast modem and needs a reset each month to maintain speeds.

I have it narrowed down to a good quality Asus RT-N56U or the airport express. I prefer Apple if it's just as good. I have a 50mb/s Comcast plan and live in a small ranch condo without a basement so range isn't a serious issue for me. My primary use is streaming HD media, Hulu, Netflix and also downloading games as needed. I don't do any network storage or anything else so I don't need to spend $200 on a top of the line router wth a bunch of features I'll never use.

Is the express a solid choice for me?

Rob

I would say yes. The Apple routers are great if you just need a wifi router to set up and never have to worry about it again. If you need more functionality (control over QoS, port forwarding) etc.. I would get the Asus since Apple routers offer very little in that regard, however in my house we use a time capsule, airport extreme, and airport express and I can't remember a time where we had an issue or had to restart any of them in years..

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
If you need more functionality (control over QoS, port forwarding) etc.. I would get the Asus since Apple routers offer very little in that regard,

Thanks to you both for the replies, I did just remember that I do need to use port forwarding TCP/UDP I think it's called for one piece of software I use. Can I set up a basic port forward on the Express?

Rob

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I'll be the slight voice of reason here and say that the Express is already outdated. Drop a little extra money and grab a refurbished AC Extreme. It's in an entire different league, and you won't need to replace it again as soon.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
While it's a solid choice right now, you might as well future proof and buy something that can handle more than 100 Mbps, when you're already at 50 Mbps.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes, however you can't forward the same port on different IPs at all... Such as having more than one Xbox PS4 in a house etc

That is correct. For most users one has to port forward to one device and put the other into the DMZ which can expose security issues.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
Yes, however you can't forward the same port on different IPs at all... Such as having more than one Xbox PS4 in a house etc

Not really an issue!
I have 3 XBox360's and one PS4 on my network. (along with ~ 10 Mac's, iPad's,iPhone's, Security system with IP cameras ........)
Primary router is a Time Capsule 2 years old.
All works like a charm.
No problems with Xbox or PS4 whatsoever!

I would second the statement above: Get a Time Capsule A/C router from apple refurbished.
It is future proofed, has much better range, can attach HDD for Time Machine backups, ....

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I've got an Airport Extreme 4th Generation and an Airport Time Capsule 5th Generation. I'm 100% satisfied with both of them. They have a strong signal and most importantly, they just work.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
No. I don't recommend Apple's routers.

Get a Ubnt ERL and x number of WAPs, depending on the size of your house( I have one on each floor of my five floor house).

Whether you need the AC WAP or not depends on your specific use, which you haven't outlined.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
No. I don't recommend Apple's routers.

Get a Ubnt ERL and x number of WAPs, depending on the size of your house( I have one on each floor of my five floor house).

Whether you need the AC WAP or not depends on your specific use, which you haven't outlined.

In my opinion, Apple routers are outstanding for the average and power-user. I've had many generations of the Airport Extreme/Express up to the 5th before moving to Ubiquiti's ERL. The ERL is a outstanding router, but has a high cost of entry in terms of knowledge. It's very flexible and has a ton of features, but unless you're a telecom engineer looking for a home router or are really into networking, you're better off with the ease of setup of the Apple routers.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I disagree. For something as vital as wifi, it's worth spending 5 hours to learn some networking. Besides, chances are you (and the OP doesn't state anything that would need to) don't need to do anything beyond the wizard built into the ERL. It's really a no brainer. Although Ubnt's UI isn't as nice as Apple's, I admit, but I prefer CLI anyway, so...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite is a bit more than what any home user would need in most cases. That being said, those who feel comfortable with equipment like that will see a definite benefit. I manage both AirPort and UniFi networks without issue and you can tell they are both powerful tools but with different targets. A poorly configured network can be just as bad as a simple but low end network.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wouldn't just because it isn't 802.11 ac, but Apple's routers are solid. I'm going on three years with my AirPort Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.