Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hi, i want to make a list of best apps without many authorizations, light apps that don't consume much battery and wont stuck at background in suspicious'way
Of course not attempt to sync and sending anonymous data from behind
We dont want intrusive apps :rolleyes:

There are several categories

Launchers, themes...

Photos

Multimedia
- MX Player

Weather

Mail

Business

Social

Tools

Battery life

- BetterBatteryStats

- Greenify

Miscellaneous

Free feel to propose your app's list ;)

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Best android apps

im mostly using only paid version of apps. short list... mostly the essentials apps...

Launchers, themes...
Nova Prime
- using it on my phone, tablet and tvbox

Photos
PS Touch (phone, tablet)
Sketchbook pro
procapture (just another cam app)

Weather
hw widgets
meteoEarth

Mail
gmail

Tools
swype
moon+reader
msecure
droidedit
office suite
zooper widgets pro
google tv remote (free)

Miscellaneous
smart tools
some differend kind of nfc apps
two bank account apps

ps. i havent ever had problems about suspicious or intrusive apps just because i dont try to get paid apps for free ;)

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Solid Explorer Pro

Foxfi

Torque Pro

Lecture Notes

Wonder if my iPad will ever get them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Best android apps

Perfect timing for this thread. I'm looking for a good pdf editor with a material design theme.

Any takers?

Can Google's docs edit PDF's ?

My essential android apps are nearly the same as iOS and windows phone (albeit windows phone still has a serious deficit of some of my favourites).

Drawing/illustrating

Corel Painter Mobile
Sketch Book Pro
ArtFlow

News / Media

Google play newsstand
Pulse
Flipboard
Google News
Netflix
RTE Player (Ireland)
4OD (UK & Ireland)

Music

Google Play Music
Spotify

Office / productivity

Hancom Office
Evernote
OneNote
SkyDrive
DropBox

Shopping

Amazon
eBay
Adverts (Irish only)
Smyths (Ireland)
Supervalu (Ireland)
Paypal
Permanent TSB (Ireland)
BOI (Ireland)

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Using a N5 with Lollipop:

Piktures (the new stock Gallery app was all over the place)
Google Inbox
AdAway*
AirDroid
PushBullet
Cerberus*
Wifi Kill*
Forza (great for soccer fans)
Google Keep
tTorrent Pro

* require root

The majority of these apps alone (besides file managing apps) are what keep me in the Android system: no ads when browsing or using free apps, I can download/upload anything from/to my phone/laptop with AirDroid, catch notifications with Pushbullet, find my phone with Cerberus even if wiped, download episodes with tTorrent and stream on my TV via Chromecast without touching a PC.:rolleyes:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Weather

Nice Weather
Smallest, lighest and prettiest weather app i ever used
Major con, you need paid version for unlocking widget and adding more cities
1,5 euros per year, not an huge cost though

Music

Shuttle Music Player
As previous app, light, small and it has very nice and clean interface, it reminds me a lot Google Music

Tools

Watchdog
watch activity at the background and see if apps do consume much

My Data Manager
For users who want to control their data consumption

Any.Do
Clean and minimalist interface!

Games

Poker Appeak
Best poker game, minimalist interface, lightest poker game i ever played, battery consumption seems to be pretty low, love it

Stier

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
i just want to ask what is the best wallpaper setting app, i'm running all stock on my S5. i've got wallpapyrus but i don't think it's working that well anymore

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I use mostly Google apps, so Google calender, maps, contacts, music, now launcher, messenger, voice, drive, translate, ect.

As for 3rd party apps, that would be Pocketcasts, Netflix, Hulu, Flipboard, IMDB (which now uses material design), Amazon, Nest, FX File Explorer, Dropbox, Evernote.

For PDF files, I use PDF Max, but it really pales when compared to PDF Expert on iOS, buts it's the best I've found on Android.

Plus a bunch of games, really into Simcity and Tapped Out right now, the best part is game progress syncs across platforms, so I can keep playing on my iPhone and iPad too. In fact, just about all these apps sync across platforms, which is why I use them.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I cant recommend any Google services and apps, those apps and services and well known for eating huge amount of battery life and attempt to send your own datas in order to make benefit on it :rolleyes:
If you disable most of Google services, battery life might increase by far
I use essentially Youtube, Gmail and Maps but you can easily find the equivalent

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im using a Nexus 5 w/ Lollipop 5.0.1

Launchers, themes...
Nova Pime w/ Tesla unread plugin

Photos
Stock Gallery
One Drive
DropBox

Multimedia
MX Player
Power Amp
Cloud Skipper

Weather
Fancy Wigets

Mail
Google Inbox
Bluemail

Business
None

Social
Facebook
Tweetcastor
Hangouts

Tools
Google Now
Google Calender
Kii Keyboard or Google stock
DirecTV Remote
Printer Share
Battery life
None

Miscellaneous
eBay
Amazon
Package tracker
Tapatalk
Photobucket
Craigslist
TV Guide
Pulse
Audio Manager(use it to hide stuff)
Phonezap
Pocket

Browsers
Chrome
Firefox

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Best android apps

I cant recommend any Google services and apps, those apps and services and well known for eating huge amount of battery life ...

funny, my gapps work just fine and i dont see any odd battery consumption... i dont use g+, but only drive, maps, gmail+inbox, keep, calender, youtube, music, hangouts...

i just forgot... Amazon Appstore: free app of the day, and they offer good amount of free apps regularly. like the new year collection, apps for over 100dollars. have got many good apps for free. some are crap but some are apps you would buy after all.

Last edited:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
funny, my gapps work just fine and i dont see any odd battery consumption... i dont use g+, but only drive, maps, gmail+inbox, keep, calender, youtube, music, hangouts...

i just forgot... Amazon Appstore: free app of the day, and they offer good amount of free apps regularly. like the new year collection, apps for over 100dollars. have got many good apps for free. some are crap but some are apps you would buy after all.
They do eating battery life at background
Google is the main reason i dont really appreciate Android, i will never buy Nexus and attempt to avoid their services as much as possible
If there were better alternatives, i would use them instead of Google rogue apps :rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well too bad for you then. I like Google services. Some people are OCD about their battery life. I care more about functuality. I care about battery life too and I'd get a phone with a bigger battery and why I haven't seriously considered a Moto X 2. But function/usability, options, whatever you want to call it is a big reason why I prefer Android over iOS.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Well too bad for you then. I like Google services. Some people are OCD about their battery life. I care more about functuality. I care about battery life too and I'd get a phone with a bigger battery and why I haven't seriously considered a Moto X 2. But function/usability, options, whatever you want to call it is a big reason why I prefer Android over iOS.
Dude, Google is worst than Apple
They impose alot of things anonymously
Why i cant uninstall their own services?
Why they need to track every single data from users?
On Kiktat, you are stripped of the possibility to write any kind of data on your external SD card
WTF, the first main reason, Android users point out about Apple and the non existence of SD card on iPhone
They will close more doors, step by step, its funny that you approve them and keep using their own apps/services
Remember Microsoft and their OS, Windows XP (IE, Windows Media Player...)
I have android Phone but i prefer some aspect from Apple

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Dude, Google is worst than Apple
They impose alot of things anonymously
Why they need to track every single data from users?
On Kiktat, you are stripped of the possibility to write any kind of data on your external SD card
WTF, the first main reason, Android users point out about Apple and the non existence of SD card on iPhone
They will close more doors, step by step, its funny that you approve them and keep using their own apps/services
Remember Microsoft and their OS, Windows XP (IE, Windows Media Player...)
I have android Phone but i prefer some aspect from Apple

Well again, too bad for you. Your opinion. Some are worried about it, some aren't. I am not. Apple keeps track of things as well and I also don't care about that. Don't use a smartphone if your worried about those things.
Also I haven't used iOS as my main for a while, I can't imagine you can delete their apps either.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Best android apps

They do eating battery life at background

no they dont, only few percent like all apps do if you intend to use them at all... dont know what is causing your battery drain, but that doesnt happen on my devices...

external sd card is working just fine in my Note...

you can disable them.

Last edited:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Well again, too bad for you. Your opinion. Some are worried about it, some aren't. I am not. Apple keeps track of things as well and I also don't care about that. Don't use a smartphone if your worried about those things.
Also I haven't used iOS as my main for a while, I can't imagine you can delete their apps either.
They monetize you data from your back
Man, i dont pay about 500$ a phone which every single data will be used for advertising purpose
They want my datas, ok then, give me phone for free
Of course, Apple collect datas but they don't monetize it
As i said, if i can find alternative apps that can replace Google'ones, i will do without any hesitation

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014

That is not true, I am running KitKat and have numerous apps, pictures and music on my sd card.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Gallery
Quickpic

Music player
Rocket player

Corp exchange app
Nine

Sms
Google messenger

Reddit
Reddit sync

File manager
Solid explorer

Continuity
pushbullet
Air droid

Wifi management
Better wifi on off

Media players
Mx player
Bs player
Dice player
Ace player (ace stream/ torrent stream)
sopcast

Ps4 remote play
Sixaxis controller app

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.