Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PDF reader app GoodReader has removed a number of operations related to iCloud Drive to comply with Apple's guidelines. Specifically, developer Good.iWare has disabled GoodReader's ability to create and delete new folders inside iCloud along with the ability to move iCloud files. The developer called the iCloud usage policy "mandatory" and also included VoiceOver compatibility along with a big fix for opening iCloud containers.

goodreader-800x467.jpg
Important iCloud functionality change:
- to ensure the compliance to Apple's iCloud usage policy, the following operations have been disabled: creation of new folders inside iCloud, deletion of folders inside iCloud, moving of files and folders inside iCloud.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but the iCloud usage policy is mandatory.
The changes to GoodReader come a week after Panic's file management app Transmit was forced to disable its send to iCloud Drive feature which also led to the removal of all Share Sheet file transfers to other third-party services. However, Apple later reversed its course on Transmit as the app reinstated its sending feature in an update shortly after.

While Apple introduced a number of new features with iOS 8, a number of developers have been forced to remove key features from their apps for reasons that are unclear. For instance, Notification Center widget Launcher was removed after the launch of iOS 8 in September, and Apple has also asked apps like Drafts and Neato to remove widget functionality. Apple also asked calculator app PCalc to remove the calculator functionality from its Notification Center widget, but later reversed its decision.

GoodReader is a $4.99 download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Update: Apple has quickly reconsidered its decision and allowed GoodReader to restore iCloud Drive functionality with version 4.8.1.

Article Link: PDF Reader 'GoodReader' Removes iCloud Drive Functions to Comply with 'Mandatory' Apple Policy [Updated]

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unbelievable, I think Apple goes out their way to annoy consumers and developers.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Not this again

Apple, forget it. You're just hell-bent on making iCloud as unusable as possible for no apparent reason. As much as I don't want to, I'm sticking with Dropbox.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It's good to see this developer complying with requirements that ensure the security of all iOS users valuable data stored in iCloud.

I understand some people do value functionality over security, but for the vast majority of people iOS is the number one choice because Apple emphasises protection of security and privacy.

stuarty2003

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
Singapore
It's good to see this developer complying with requirements that ensure the security of all iOS users valuable data stored in iCloud.

I understand some people do value functionality over security, but for the vast majority of people iOS is the number one choice because Apple emphasises protection of security and privacy.

Is that you, Phil Schiller?

p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
1. Publish App
2. Apple rejects
3. Pull App, remove said functionally.
4. Go to press
5. Apple reverse
6. Restore said functionality.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'll bet any money this is another decision that will be reversed once it gets attention and people complain about it.

Rene Ritchie is right. Apple needs an App Store VP who is responsible for all things apps - developer relations, app review, app editorial/promotion. And this person/team should NOT be part of the marketing organization!

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Doesn't matter, they will reverse that decision in one week. ;)

Please tell us how GoodReader's features endanger the security of user data.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple, forget it. You're just hell-bent on making iCloud as unusable as possible for no apparent reason. As much as I don't want to, I'm sticking with Dropbox.

That's inferring that it was usable at some point and from my perspective it hasn't. I've been an apple cloud user since they gave it away under iTools

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
7. Developers get more and more frustrated and start thinking Android might not be a bad idea

That's the end result of their draconian rules. There's security and then there's just stupid rules that serve no one.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

Dropbox is so good that at this point they could probably build a mobile phone/device outwards and it be a huge success.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

You sounds like Apple's PR. Maybe Tim can offer you a job in Apple's PR team.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Glad that I just heard about this. I just had to dig the 4.7.0 version out of a Time Machine backup to be able to reinstall it on my iPad (I must have updated it without thinking to read the release notes).

I hate it when Apple does this. The app appeared to be doing just fine before this "Mandatory" policy went into effect.

Whenever a developer submits an update that I don't like (mainly for apps I use daily, such as GoodReader), I find the most recent version of said app that doesn't have the unwanted changes and save it to an external disk. That way if iTunes on my iPhone, iPad or MacBook "accidentally" updates the app, I have a copy to reinstall.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's the end result of their draconian rules. There's security and then there's just stupid rules that serve no one.

Marco Arment has been hitting Apple pretty hard over this stuff. I don't think the situation is as dire as he makes it out to be but somebody needs to light a fire under Cook/Apple. Arment places the blame squarely in Schiller's org. Ben Thompson wrote about this too. His take was there's new guard (Fedetighi/Ive) vs. old guard (Schiller) tensions. It sure seems like the software orgs are trying to push things forward and then marketing comes in and says "not so fast". Schiller's org is like Lucy with the football. What's sad is one does get the feeling there is a element within Apple that thinks it's ok to jerk around developers because they're not going to go anywhere else. :(

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Dropbox is so good that at this point they could probably build a mobile phone/device outwards and it be a huge success.

If Dropbox only had a way to directly "understand" Pages and Numbers files, that's a big bummer to me at the moment (if you suddenly need to work in a Windows workplace and can not use the Dropbox app on your Mac). Other than that Dropbox is excellent.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Another recent example of Apple's disastrous App Store Team's misguided rules:

Reeder (Mac version) posted this remark on today's changelog:

"Had to remove to option to change the default RSS reader on OS X 10.10 Yosemite (not possible anymore for sandboxed apps)"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
We're in the midst of an transition period that may be unexpectedly long.

Consider, at least, this: Apple’s Software Quality Decline. Now, hands up: who wants Apple to rush transitions such as this?

+1

Also it's nice to have the developer not overtly complaining. Simply, that one bullet point that's quoted in the MacRumors article.

The problem is these things being approved (and in many cases promoted on the App Store) only to be rejected by app review after the fact. If Apple needs to go slow in order to ensure quality then why does this stuff get approved in the first place? I could see this having an impact on Watch development. If there is no clear poilicy inside Apple around extensions and widgets I can only imagine the confusion there will be around Watch apps. :eek:

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Apple really doesn't want iCloud to be useful in any way. They're trying to hide or reinvent files and folders, but not actually replacing them with anything that works.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Apple really doesn't want iCloud to be useful in any way. They're trying to hide or reinvent files and folders, but not actually replacing them with anything that works.

This is the impression I got. This is the biggest reason I now use Microsoft Office rather than iWork. Ms Office works with Dropbox, and works with dropbox properly. If i use iWork & iCloud, I have to ditch my organised folder structure and put all of my pages docs in one folder. Yeah, like thats gonna happen.

iCloud Drive is also the slowest thing I've ever tried to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.