Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several iPhone 6 owners on Apple support forums and in MacRumors forums are reporting an issue with Apple Pay after making changes to the their phones that automatically reset the Apple Pay service (via 9to5Mac). These activities include restoring a phone, logging out of iCloud and possibly removing a passcode from the device.

apple-pay-fail-credit-card.jpg

Following such changes, Apple automatically removes the associated credit cards from Apple Pay as a security measure to protect a user's sensitive financial information in case of loss or theft of the phone. Users are then required to repeat the setup process and re-add their credit cards to the mobile payment service. It is during this restoration step, however, that the process fails for some users.

Upon failure, users are greeted with an alert advising them to contact their card issuers. Subsequent calls to banks confirmed the cards not associated with the Apple Pay service, but the phone still fails to accept the card information. Apple support is typically unable to fix the issue and, in many cases, Genius Bar technicians have replace the phones with new or refurbished units in order to restore Apple Pay functionality.

The issue likely involves the secure enclave on the iPhone that stores the Apple Pay information. It is possible that the automatic removal of Apple Pay information does not clear the enclave properly, leaving behind details that block the addition of credit card information. This apparent glitch in the service appears to only affect users who made changes that disabled Apple Pay and removed cards automatically. Users who manually remove their cards are able to add new and previously used cards back to Apple Pay without an issue.

It is not clear how many iPhone 6 owners are affected by this issue. It could be a system-wide glitch affecting all Apple Pay users or an issue with only a small number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus handsets. Not surprisingly, Apple has yet to comment officially on the matter.

Article Link: Users Reporting Apple Pay Problems After Changes in iPhone Security Status

Last edited:

Altruistic

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Hello 2015...are you there Apple Pay?

Happy New Year Everybody! I couldn't get an Apple Employee to take my Apple Pay when I was in the Apple Store after Black Friday...

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Did an iCloud restore on my phone about a month ago. Didn't have any issue adding my cards back into passport. Sounds like a frustrating issue.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
I am "thinking" this happened to me.

I had a Capital One card that I used at Home Depot.

I loaded the card to Apple Pay no problem. A few days later I get a letter and email from Capital One that they are going to send me a new card with a new number because it was used at Home Depot.

A few days after that, I notice that on my online account my account number changed ... still have not received the new card yet. Old card still worked fine though. Capital One was just slow on sending me the new card.

Did a restore on my phone.

I tried to load the old card back ... but it refused. I had just assumed that because my account was in transition from old number to new number that it was messing up the Apple Pay sign up process as my online number was different from what I was holding in my hand.

When I got the new card ... it loaded into Apple Pay just fine.

It just makes me wonder though that if it was this issue that is being reported as the real issue???

So ... it appears then ... that prior to a restore ... I need to wipe my cards from Apple Pay first ... restore the phone ... and then reload them.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I am "thinking" this happened to me.

I had a Capital One card that I used at Home Depot.

I loaded the card to Apple Pay no problem. A few days later I get a letter and email from Capital One that they are going to send me a new card with a new number because it was used at Home Depot.

A few days after that, I notice that on my online account my account number changed ... still have not received the new card yet. Old card still worked fine though. Capital One was just slow on sending me the new card.

Did a restore on my phone.

I tried to load the old card back ... but it refused. I had just assumed that because my account was in transition from old number to new number that it was messing up the Apple Pay sign up process as my online number was different from what I was holding in my hand.

When I got the new card ... it loaded into Apple Pay just fine.

It just makes me wonder though that if it was this issue that is being reported as the real issue???

So ... it appears then ... that prior to a restore ... I need to wipe my cards from Apple Pay first ... restore the phone ... and then reload them.

Doesn't really have to do with this problem but did you really get AP to work at home depot? In which city do you live that it worked? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I have yet to actually see it work.

ee4life

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Doesn't really have to do with this problem but did you really get AP to work at home depot? In which city do you live that it worked? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I have yet to actually see it work.

I think he just used the card at HD, not ApplePay.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Good news for anyone with a bent phone... :D
Genius Bar technicians have replace the phones with new or refurbished units in order to restore Apple Pay functionality.

EyesMcGillicudd

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014

I used Apple Pay last week at the Home Depot in Elk Grove Village. :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

American Express and Visa, but not MasterCard, work with Apple Pay at Home Depot stores that support NFC.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
I think he just used the card at HD, not ApplePay.

Yes, Capital One was proactive due to the Home Depot hack and sent me a new card.

I registered my card to Apple Pay during the transition from old to new card.

I have used Apple Pay many times at Home Depot since I received the new card and registered it to Apple Pay.

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
after getting ApplePay setup on my phone, I had to sign out and into iCloud to get notifications on my mac to work again. One of the side effects of that was all my cards were erased. I was able to reset them up with no problem. I wonder if this falls into the category of having to sign out of iCloud and maybe even manually removing the cards before doing a restore. I’m not willing to be the guinea pig for this.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Another erratic glitch? I have restored one of my phones earlier this month, and have also signed both phones out of iCloud several times. In all cases, the Apple Pay cards were cleared (as expected) but I had no trouble restoring them.

Sounds like the wifi issue all over again...I have no problems with wifi (or Bluetooth, for that matter) but lots of others seem to have problems. :eek:

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Sounds like it's still easier just to get out your wallet and your credit card, swipe it, and sign, and go on your merry way.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
So...another bug rendering another tentpole feature of iOS 8 unusable (ref. Health app). Joy. I'm looking forward to seeing the buggy mess that will be iOS 8.2 with the Apple Watch. I foresee all sorts of shenanigans...

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
I purchased an iPhone 6 in November and have restored/reloaded my phone several times and each time I have to re-configure my cards on ApplePay and have no issue with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.