Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have Late 2008 MBP that comes with leopard preinstalled and I have the CD, I also have Snow Leopard CD.

But the superdrive is broken.

I want to sell my MBP so I want to wipe it out completely before that.

Thanks.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
You can't use an external USB key to install it (that only works with Macs that do not come with a superdrive), however an external USB DVD drive should work. They can be got for a very small cost,

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, the statement, about USB external installs not working unless your Mac doesn't have an internal, is incorrect.
You can make a bootable flash drive from your Snow Leopard DVD.
One method that will do that:
You need a working DVD drive - another Mac, or an external drive will work fine.
Disk Utility, Restore.
Your Snow Leopard DVD is the Source, and a USB flash drive is the Destination. Click the Restore button, and wait until complete.
I use an 8GB flash drive. The result is an installer that is more likely to work next time you need it. (flash drives don't mind bouncing around in a drawer, and scratches are not an issue :D ) and, the install is almost always faster than from a DVD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a couple of 8gb USB flashdrives that can be used?

I would try this:

1. On the MacBook (as it is now), create a new user account. Give it a simple name, such as "Administrator", and the password of your choice.
2. Connect the first flashdrive
3. Use CarbonCopyCloner to create a "selective clone" to the flashdrive. By "selective clone", go into CCC's "left menu" and chose NOT to copy your actual user account (which probably has too much "stuff" to fit onto the flashdrive). The same for Applications -- you can go in and DE-select everything except the essential Apple apps.
The idea is to create a bootable but "slimmed down" copy of your internal drive so that it will fit onto the first USB drive.
4. When done, DO A TEST BOOT of the new flashdrive by rebooting with the option key held down until startup manager appears, then select the flashdrive and try to boot from it.

Does this work?
If so, next step:

1. You will need to get a copy of the Snow Leopard DVD onto the -other- flashdrive. If you have access to another Mac that has a DVD drive that will read the DVD, use that Mac to copy the contents from the DVD to the second flashdrive.
(NOTE: if you do NOT have access to another Mac, there are "alternative download methods" by which to obtain a copy of the 10.6 DVD dmg, but you will have to seek them out and discover them on your own...)
2. Now, boot the MacBook from the FIRST flashdrive to your new "Administrator" account.
3. Use Disk Utility to re-initialize the internal drive. Use the secure erase if you wish.
4. When that's done, connect the SECOND flash drive with 10.6 on it.
5. Try running the 10.6 installer, and "aim it" at the internal drive.
6. Can you get a fresh copy of 10.6 installed onto the internal this way?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
???????? :eek:

Are you serious ??

You can boot up from the installer USB drive, and erase the internal drive from there (Disk Utility) no need to create that "clone".

To OP : do what DeltaMac said, this is the "normal" way when the Superdrive no longer works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.