Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Plan to go caseless but would like to see reputable protectors for our lenses..Did a quick search but with no luck.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I haven't seen anything but also going back and forth between case free and case since launch. I never once thought about a protector. Send durable enough

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
I haven't seen anything but also going back and forth between case free and case since launch. I never once thought about a protector. Send durable enough

Something like this:

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 92

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
got a replacement phone at the apple store a few days ago and when the guy took the replacement out of the box, he kept tossing it on the counter back-side down over and over and i was thinking, 'oh man, that ring and/or lens is going to get all kinds of messed up.' but it seems to be fine. it's so tiny that i think it would be hard to tell if it was really scratched up (the ring i mean - the lens is very unlikely to get scratched). and it's probably fairly durable. there's really such a tiny amount of surface area that would come into contact with anything. that said, i have my phone in a case (spigen neo hybrid) that prevents the lens and ring coming into contact with anything.

----------

Keep in mind that the camera lens is sapphire so far less likely to scratch than the display.

http://www.witrigs.com/camera-lens-metal-protective-ring-for-iphone-6-silver

i'd be really interested in a review of this and seeing real pics.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
There are tons of these ring protectors on eBay. Would love to see some real photos and reviews.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
True, but the anodized ring would look ugly to ME when scratched up.

I see. I still can't imagine the ring getting scratched though. Unless intentionally trying to scratch it. Just not enough surface area.

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
It's a sapphire lens cover...one of the hardest things known to man that a camera lens can be made out of...

I'm not so much worried about the lens getting scratched but rather it getting dirty with dust and fingerprints etc. Anyone who's serious about their photography will appreciate that it's necessary to keep camera equipment nice and clean to ensure the picture quality isn't affected. Until I find a suitable case with built-in lens cover (like the Griffin Survivor for iPhone 5) then it looks like I'll be needing to use those microfibre lens cloths more often than I'd like.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'm not so much worried about the lens getting scratched but rather it getting dirty with dust and fingerprints etc. Anyone who's serious about their photography will appreciate that it's necessary to keep camera equipment nice and clean to ensure the picture quality isn't affected. Until I find a suitable case with built-in lens cover (like the Griffin Survivor for iPhone 5) then it looks like I'll be needing to use those microfibre lens cloths more often than I'd like.
The state of the front element of a lens has (almost) no impact on image quality.

Anyone who is serious about photography will use a real camera, not a phone.

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
The state of the front element of a lens has (almost) no impact on image quality.

"Almost" no impact on image quality?! So if I smeared Vaseline on my SLR camera lens, then there will be "almost" no soft focus/blur effect in my pictures? I might as well dump my collection of Cokin filters then...

Photography is all about capturing the moment, using whatever tools are at hand or suited to the situation. In the right hands, the camera on a phone is no less of a real camera than an SLR or medium format kit. Proffessional photographers have used, and taken great photos with compact/point and shoot cameras ever since these devices came out. Nowadays, they're doing the same with the cameras on their phones too.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010

Agreed. If I'm the least bit concerned about quality, I bring a real camera. One that gives me the control to handle scenes come what may. And one that gives we raw output with significant latitude to squeeze every ounce of quality. And one that allows me to make significant enlargements from keepers. And a scratched or dusty front element has literally zero negative impact on imagery.

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
If I'm the least bit concerned about quality, I bring a real camera. One that gives me the control to handle scenes come what may. And one that gives we raw output with significant latitude to squeeze every ounce of quality. And one that allows me to make significant enlargements from keepers. And a scratched or dusty front element has literally zero negative impact on imagery.

Squeeze every ounce of quality? You'd certainly be needing to do a lot of squeezing if your lens is dusty and scratched!

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I am happy to impart knowledge to correct common misperceptions. Check out this man's humorous means of getting the point across.

http://petapixel.com/2011/06/16/how-dust-and-damage-on-lenses-affect-image-quality/

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
"Almost" no impact on image quality?! So if I smeared Vaseline on my SLR camera lens, then there will be "almost" no soft focus/blur effect in my pictures? I might as well dump my collection of Cokin filters then...
I thought this thread was about scratches, not vaseline.
Scratches (on the front element) have no impact on image quality.
Never heard of anyone using filters with an iPhone camera.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Following up on my post, I got one of those rings. Doesn't look bad, and definitely gives me more peace of mind when setting down the phone.

bb268e618b0139d2aab0869fe1472d4e.jpg

There are tons of these ring protectors on eBay. Would love to see some real photos and reviews.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Very cool. How does it attach? Any chance the protector itself could scratch the aluminum camera ring? Where did you get yours?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
It has a sticky back. Sticks right over existing ring. Seems unlikely to have any negative effect on it. Picked the cheapest one on eBay that was sold in the US.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
You might discover that a fat ring like that will vignette your pics. Or that the cheap coke bottle glass they use will degrade your images by reducing contrast and increasing flare.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
does the cover have it's own glass, or is it just designed to cover the aluminum ring?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Basically what you're getting is an inexpensive extended aluminum ring that sticks out further than the glass. There is no additional glass. Its going to help when putting the phone down on a flattish surface to prevent the glass from touching that surface.

does the cover have it's own glass, or is it just designed to cover the aluminum ring?

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Following up on my post, I got one of those rings. Doesn't look bad, and definitely gives me more peace of mind when setting down the phone.

Thanks! Link please. Any possible damage when removing it? Easily scratched?

And my guess that it won't fit with any common case.

Will order upon you posting the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.