Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Why I bought an android tablet instead of upgrading to my 4th iPad:

1. Cursor keys on keyboard.
2. Number row on alpha keyboard.

For each and every iOS update, I was hoping that Apple would realize the need. Nope, not yet. Having to use the stupid touch-cursor to edit typing mistakes is painful. Cursor keys make it simple and a matter of seconds.

Get with the program, Apple!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

For each and every iOS update, I was hoping that Apple would realize the need. Nope, not yet. Having to use the stupid touch-cursor to edit typing mistakes is painful. Cursor keys make it simple and a matter of seconds.

Let's see. A 3rd party keyboard was to painful to download? Buying a BT keyboard was too difficult? Or een modifying the stock keyboard was too difficult? So many options, but instead it was easier to buy an Android tablet for the cursor keys? Okay. Sure. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Loco Emperor

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There are a lot of writing apps that address these issues by adding a separate bar on top of the iOS keyboard. Since the third-party stuff has come along, there have been keyboards like MD Keyboard and ProType that now give you these features globally.

Getting a keyboard from Google Play is no different than doing the same in the App Store.

Arrow keys and a separate row of numbers are not NEEDS, they are specific wants from a segment of people who do a lot of writing on their devices. I didn't even use those options when I was using Android for two years.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Glad you got something that works for you. Enjoy your new tablet.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
There are a lot of writing apps that address these issues by adding a separate bar on top of the iOS keyboard. Since the third-party stuff has come along, there have been keyboards like MD Keyboard and ProType that now give you these features globally.

Getting a keyboard from Google Play is no different than doing the same in the App Store.

Arrow keys and a separate row of numbers are not NEEDS, they are specific wants from a segment of people who do a lot of writing on their devices. I didn't even use those options when I was using Android for two years.

To be fair, the OP did not say why an Android tablet is better than an iPAd. They only stated a personal reason why they switched. Maybe the OP does belong to this specific segment you mentioned.

Reactions: Channan

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Why I switched to Android

Other than the Surface Pro, I couldn't think of getting any other tablet than iPad. Phone yes, but tablet no.

Note serie =P

What a horrible troll post.

Have you never heard of third party keyboards?

have you heard how bad they work for now?

Buying a BT keyboard was too difficult?

i think op was buying a tablet, not a tablet and a bt keyboard. why not buying a laptop then...

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
i think op was buying a tablet, not a tablet and a bt keyboard. why not buying a laptop then...
Why?
A. BT keyboard is cheaper than buying a new tablet or laptop
B. BT keyboard has specific functional iOS keys
C. BT keyboard works better for typing than trying to type on a glass surface
D. Did I mention a BT keyboard is tons cheaper and solves his issues?

Edit: For example, I got this all aluminium backlit keyboard case (basically turning my iPad Air 2 into a mini MacBook Air), for $60. I like that the top row of function keys are specific to the iPad. To me, this would have been a better option for the OP than forking out another few hundred dollars on a tablet. Common sense I suppose?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
sure a bt keyboard would have got him a new keyboard for his old tablet if that had been the thing he would have been looking for... but i dont think he was just looking for a keyboard for his old tablet, but a new tablet to replace his old one and he chose android.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As somebody who went from ipad to note tablets the main reason had nothing to do with keyboards. .seriously?

If you want multitasking and extra storage sure but keyboards?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well to be fair to the OP the third party keyboards on iOS are rubbish. They are buggy and they keep defaulting back to the stock keyboard. However I really like the stock keyboard so have no need to use a third party one. I tend to stick to stock apps if they work well enough. On my tab pro I use the stock Samsung keyboard because it's good.

OP I'm glad you got a tablet you enjoy.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

swype is awesome (on android), but ios version is terrible. been contacting to devs and they are working to get it work, but the issue is not bugs but apples side. every 3rd party keyboards wont work as they should until apple fix their side...

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
swype is awesome (on android), but ios version is terrible. been contacting to devs and they are working to get it work, but the issue is not bugs but apples side. every 3rd party keyboards wont work as they should until apple fix their side...

Yeah I've read that too, that it's something on Apple's side that makes it impossible for the Swype team to get it working properly on iOS right now. And you are right that currently it is useless. It locks up or fails to load in all manner of nasty ways.

IMO the Swype keyboard experience itself is great though, I'm actually swype-ing with less errors than I was on Android. I miss the extra functionality that the Android version has though, cut, copy & paste etc. But the typing experience itself is excellent.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Yeah I've read that too, that it's something on Apple's side that makes it impossible for the Swype team to get it working properly on iOS right now. And you are right that currently it is useless. It locks up or fails to load in all manner of nasty ways.

IMO the Swype keyboard experience itself is great though, I'm actually swype-ing with less errors than I was on Android. I miss the extra functionality that the Android version has though, cut, copy & paste etc. But the typing experience itself is excellent.

unfortunately i cant use it very well, because english is not my mother language and when i try to use swype, it tries to correct english words to my language althought autocorrection is turned off. and it does that randomly, so you never know does it work or not. i should always change the language depending on what im writing... some other issues are too, e.g. when i try to fill forms and typing my own name, swype tries to autocorrect it to something which really doesnt mean anything...

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Well to be fair to the OP the third party keyboards on iOS are rubbish. They are buggy and they keep defaulting back to the stock keyboard.
Also, how do you know that they are not functioning as a key logger?

Did you read the warning when you download any keyboards? Provides a third party access to every keystroke you type? That sounds like malware to me. That scared me off from loading any iOS keyboards.

iPhone said:
Full access allows the developer of this keyboard to transmit anything you type, including things you previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address.

Seriously, to me, cursor keys & backspace key is a NEED not a want. Every time I time forum comments on an iPad (or my iPhone, which I still use), I get frustrated about how difficult it is to correct mistyped words. It shouldn't be that hard. My choice is either try to position the stupid cursor precisely with my finger (which is tough when you can't see where your finger is touching, especially near the top of the screen), or just delete and start over.

As somebody who went from ipad to note tablets the main reason had nothing to do with keyboards. .seriously? If you want multitasking and extra storage sure but keyboards?
Yeah, split screen with email side-by-side with internet is nice to have, as is being able to pop in a 128GB microSD card. But the keyboard is what really drove me over the edge, after being an iPad user since the launch of iPad 1.

I just don't understand why Apple, with their focus on "It just works" doesn't add cursor keys. There is plenty of room on the iPad screen to make a more functional keyboard. Every iOS update, I thought "better keyboard" would be one of the features. Nope. Then with iOS8 and "custom keyboards", I thought "This is it". Nope.

Did I mention a BT keyboard is tons cheaper and solves his issues?...To me, this would have been a better option for the OP than forking out another few hundred dollars on a tablet. Common sense I suppose?
I already have a MBA11, I don't need something essentially the same size (ipad+keyboard) that is a weaker tool. I didn't "fork out another few hundred dollars". I had an iPad3, and was waiting for the Air2 as my next tablet upgrade. Instead, I jumped ship (and saved a few hundred dollars, actually!).

Common sense, you know?

To me, a BT keyboard actually erases the convenience/functionality that makes a tablet the right choice over a laptop. Ipad+Keyboard is more inconvenient than a laptop, because the weight is all wrong.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Also, how do you know that they are not functioning as a key logger?

Did you read the warning when you download any keyboards? Provides a third party access to every keystroke you type? That sounds like malware to me. That scared me off from loading any iOS keyboards.

"whenever you move to a secure password field, third party keyboards are temporarily disabled and the standard iOS 8 keyboard is presented instead. This is not only to prevent key-loggers, but to prevent anyone at all from having any access to your passwords whatsoever"

http://www.imore.com/custom-keyboards-ios-8-explained

Furthermore, 3rd party keyboards will still work if you don't grant them full access. They might just be missing a few advanced features.

Which keyboard will you be using on Android, and how do you know its more trustworthy than iOS 3rd party keyboards? As far as I can tell, Google's own keyboard doesn't have the features you're after.

Last edited:

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Which keyboard will you be using on Android, and how do you know its more trustworthy than iOS 3rd party keyboards? As far as I can tell, Google's own keyboard doesn't have the features you're after.
I am using the default samsung keyboard that came on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.

I am assuming that Samsung isn't trying to hack me.

Maybe a bad assumption.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I am using the default samsung keyboard that came on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.

I am assuming that Samsung isn't trying to hack me.

Maybe a bad assumption.

I'm also using the default keyboard on my Galaxy tab pro 10.1 because it's good enough.

On iOS I use the default keyboard too.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
"whenever you move to a secure password field, third party keyboards are temporarily disabled and the standard iOS 8 keyboard is presented instead. This is not only to prevent key-loggers, but to prevent anyone at all from having any access to your passwords whatsoever"

So what happens when I move to a field for my credit card number?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
So what happens when I move to a field for my credit card number?

You stay with the custom keyboard. If you have granted the keyboard full access, it has the ability to capture and transmit the card number. If you don't grant it full access, it does not.

There's no need to grant full access for the type of functionality you're looking for.

Alternatively you could manually switch to the Apple Keyboard whenever you type sensitive info

Last edited:

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas

I switched from iphone to note 4 only because i was bored with the iphones, it has been pretty much the same since the first one...dont know how much android has changed over the years but at least its new to me...i find myself not using my ipad as much as i used to...between the Note 4 and my macbook im pretty much set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.