Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With luxury watchmakers turning their attention to the smartwatch market ahead of the Apple Watch launch later this year, Montblanc is one of the first to announce specific plans. As noted by aBlogtoWatch, Montblanc's initial foray is an "e-Strap" accessory band for traditional watches that connects wirelessly to a smartphone.

montblanc_estrap.jpg
The Montblanc e-Strap incorporates a small 0.9-inch wide screen into a high-quality leather band that attaches to a traditional analog watch. The screen lays flat against the underside of the wrist, allowing users to receive notifications, count steps, and control music playback on a connected smartphone. The band connects to an iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth and offers up to five days of battery life.
How impressive as a connected wearable device will the e-Strap's electronic module be? It will have a 0.9 inch monochromatic OLED touchscreen display with a 128x36 pixel resolution. That isn't exactly industry changing, but this is more than just a mere notification device. Montblanc has made it clear that in addition to basic calls, texts, e-mails, calendars, social media, and reminder notifications, the e-Strap will function as an activity monitor/tracker with a pedometer and accelerometer to measure data that feeds into an included iPhone or Android phone app.
The e-Strap will reportedly sell separately for 250 Euros and will also be available initially as an option with select Timewalker Urban Speed watches. The band will, however, apparently be compatible with all 42-mm or 43-mm wide Timewalker watches.

Montblanc is one of several luxury watchmakers adding smartwatch-inspired products to their 2015 portfolios. Timex and Fossil reportedly are partnering with Qualcomm and Intel, respectively, on upcoming smartwatches, while Swiss watchmaker TAG Heuer is exploring partnerships and acquisitions in order to jumpstart its own smartwatch projects.

Article Link: Montblanc Unveils 'e-Strap' Band Accessory With iOS Integration for Analog Luxury Watches

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
This is a great way to repurpose and extend the functionality of a jewelry timepiece.

If I still had my (stolen) Omega Speedmaster Apollo Moon Watch, I'd consider this. But since I don't, I'm very much looking forward to buying an Watch. (Main reason I didn't buy a replacement.)

But kudos to mount blanc for showing more vision for dealing with the coming attack from smart watches than the rest of the "leaders" in its industry (this is based on what has been said and not whatight be soon revealed.)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought the Swiss watch industry wasn't concerned about Watch (or any other smart watch for that matter)?

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
42mm or 44 mm? Dang it! I was hoping for a standard 22mm so I can use it with my Pebble. Then I can separate the functions of each device. Man that's one wide strap.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
42mm or 44 mm? Dang it! I was hoping for a standard 22mm so I can use it with my Pebble. Then I can separate the functions of each device. Man that's one wide strap.

Hey Dawg, I heard you like smart watches so we....

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I actually like this style. I'm not one for wearable electronics so keeping the analog style of a watch is key. It's subtle and functional.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
To me this is the best of both worlds. I have several watches and the idea that I could add smart capability by simply changing the band... well, I'll buy that for a dollar. Or, as in this case, several hundred.;)

I think Montblanc is on to something novel. The only smartwatch that appealed to me was the LG Watch R because it looked like a traditional watch. 5 day battery life of the Montblanc band means not charging nightly. Even sweeter.

Also, like MR member spencers mentioned, the bands are 22 mm not 42 mm; that would be as wide as the watch face.:eek:

Last edited:

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Smart band for a nice watch is a good idea. I'm not so sure that this particular device will do it well, but I like the concept a lot.

I had a time walker automatic a few years ago and it was a beautiful watch...

Last edited:

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
But I thought the Swiss watch industry wasn't concerned about Watch (or any other smart watch for that matter)?

considering this is a MUCH better compelling product that Apple watch (batter life itself justify it being a "Must have")

are you sure it's not Apple that is "concerned"?

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I actually like this style. I'm not one for wearable electronics so keeping the analog style of a watch is key. It's subtle and functional.

AGREED. Now, this, I like. Even though I think the :apple:Watch is really cool and great, and once again Apple had done it right, where others have failed, I have no interest in a watch like that. I have a collection of analog watches, two of which are "high end luxury", and those are the kind of watches I prefer to wear (analog I mean). However, I am interested in the data that fitness and health trackers can provide. This product from Montblanc offers that and still allows you to wear a classic luxury analog timepiece. I wish Apple would also make something like this in partnership with a luxury timepiece maker.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Now this is what will threaten Apple's plans for a ridiculously priced $1,000 Apple Watch. Other than a very small segment of Apple's core demo, why spend that kind of money on a kitchy gadget that will outdate itself within a year or so? If I were able to pony up that kind of cash for a new watch, I'd much rather spend it on a true luxury brand that subtlety incorporates smart watch functionality, as opposed to Apple's unproven product. (I love Apple, too, but sorry, they cannot compete in the fashion wearables market and especially at that price point.)

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Yes, a $300 add on to my $3000-$10,000 watch is more compelling than the :apple:watch by itself. :D

Seriously people, this is really nice and innovative but lets not make direct comparisons between a watch and a smartband just yet. Or is that unreasonable?

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
...If I still had my (stolen) Omega Speedmaster Apollo Moon Watch, I'd consider this. But since I don't, I'm very much looking forward to buying an Watch. (Main reason I didn't buy a replacement.)...

So what happens when your Apple Watch outdates itself and needs replacing in 2 years? Money wasted. At the Omega Speedmasters' price point, wouldn't you rather have a timeless luxury analog piece that has smart watch capability?

I can see the benefits of a Fitbit type of health related functionality in Apple's upcoming watch, but beyond that it's kind of pointless. "But, but Apple Pay??" (Whatever)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
considering this is a MUCH better compelling product that Apple watch (batter life itself justify it being a "Must have")

are you sure it's not Apple that is "concerned"?

So you've actually used it? I'm sure after CES everyone and their mother will be saying Apple needs to be concerned or is doomed. Just like they've been saying since the original iPhone that Apple is doomed because it doesn't sell a cheap phone and Android has all the market share. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.