Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Need some help, my 2006 imac suddenly shuts down. I turn it back on and it works fine. Sometimes, it's 3 weeks or twice a day when it happens. Any suggestions. Been doing this for the last two years. I did replace the hard drive about a year ago with a 3tb hard drive and seems to have the same issue as with the old hard drive.

Thank you!!!

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Does it shut down completely (power off), or does it go to sleep with a black screen?

Mine was going to a black screen, but would come back to life if I waited a moment and hit a key. It turned out to be a heat issue. I used smcFan Control to ramp up the fans and it never happened again over the next 6 months.

It's free, so you have nothing to lose by trying it.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I remember my iMac was going to sleep but you couldn't wake it up unless you pressed the power button and sometimes you had to restart it.

Try repairing disk permissions, resetting the PRAM and SMU. Doing a web search will tell you how to perform these easy procedures.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Come to think of it it actually turned out to be a power supply issue. I moved my Mac into another room by itself and the problem went away. I think it could have been my power strip(s) setup and other devices. I moved things around to different outlets and that took care of the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.