Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone or Android?

• I see more iPhones

Votes: 128 66.3%
  • I see more Androids

Votes: 65 33.7%

• Total voters

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Mods feel free to move if in wrong section

I understand there are more androids but I was in a restraunt of a about 20 people, and everyone I saw had an iPhone, with a lot of 5Ss and 6s! Answer with your country, or better city/town and what you see most!

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
As a phone geek I do check out devices around me.

It's honestly hard to say, but I think I see more iPhones generally in the places I frequent.

Samsung devices are a close second for sure.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Definitely Samsung second because they are so cheap. In general more iPhones but at school everyone seems to have the s3 mini!

----------

It's honestly hard to say, but I think I see more iPhones generally in the places I frequent.

What country or city are you?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Maybe a family thing but I spent the holidays with my brother and his family in New England--had about 25 people in his house for festivities--and I only saw iPhones--and a couple non-smart phones.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Maybe a family thing but I spent the holidays with my brother and his family in New England--had about 25 people in his house for festivities--and I only saw iPhones--and a couple non-smart phones.

My family all have iPhones even grandparents with the iPhone 3G

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see more android phones on the subway when I commute. Not by a lot, but the majority is clearly android

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Definitely Samsung second because they are so cheap. In general more iPhones but at school everyone seems to have the s3 mini!

----------

What country or city are you?

USA: SLC, UT

I think the most common Samsung is the white S3. I see a lot of those.

Last edited:

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I see more android phones on the subway when I commute. Not by a lot, but the majority is clearly android

Are they mostly Samsung? I think their affordability in their lower end phones appeals for people making the jump from non-smart but aren't willing to pay ~£600/$700. I am starting to see a lot of Moto Gs as well but that is at school

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I pretty much never see anyone with iphones here, all either dumb phones or android. I don't even personally know anyone that owns an iphone other the wife and I. The youngest has an ipad mini.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I think UK it is mostly iPhones or maybe London. According to some stats there are more Androids in the UK but iPhone usage is more.
UK+Smartphone+Market+Share.png
UK+Smartphone+Usage+Share.png

Last edited:

retinaimac

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
On the World
depends on what side of town your on where I live. I have a lg g3, my wife is note 3 and my son is iphone 6. I like android for rooting and customization. Gives me something to tinker with.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Well here's an interesting thought. I'm a real estate agent, so many times I don't even see people in person for the first time yet before adding them into my iPhone as a new contact when I get a lead. So I don't need to see people in person to figure out what kind of phone they have, when I go to send them a text and it turns blue for iMessage I automatically know what they have. In a weird way it kind of gives an instant connection/common ground with a client. And to answer the original question, most other agents I communicate with and most clients I communicate with use iPhones. Here in central NJ, iPhones have a pretty clear majority when looking around and everyone uses iMessage and FaceTime. It's a major factor in my continued iPhone use, even though I have a secondary android phone that I put my SIM into sometimes as well. Oh gadgets...

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Based on Europe, excluding UK, Android meets more success due to their aggressive price strategy
In Spain and and such southern European countries, Android literally dominates the market with impressive score (over 85%)
But it doesnt mean, you wont meet iPhones around you
Actually, i see more iPhones around me than Android, i also live a country where Android dominates by far.

Its interesting but you often forget:
Android dominates most of market around the world but iPhone as individual phone, is most sold phones by far.

----------

Interesting, I've literally never seen a windows phone out in public.
Where i work (clothes shop, most of my customers are young, very young), i ve seen the most WP than any other phones but now, well breakthrough of iPhones 4/4S due to their affordable price
WP meet certain success in Europe and especially targets teenagers (colored case, lower price, camera/photo...)

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I live near the University, Samsung Note 3 and 4 models are the smartphone of choice for both guys and gals by huge margins.

The only iPhones I see when I'm on Campus are iPhone 6+. Amongst that demographic the days of tiny iPhones is over.

Yet it should be noted these are students from very wealthy families. The predominate choice of cars in the parking lots are fresh new BMW & MBZ models. Many designated either "M" or "AMG" models you enthusiasts will quickly recognize.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Rural central California: mostly see Samsung Note and S series phones, followed by iPhones and then a few Windows Phones. Haven't seen a Blackberry in a long time.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
More iPhones but not by a huge margin. My regular contacts overwhelmingly use iPhones but in public places I regularly frequent, less of a difference. If it's not an iPhone, it's almost always a Samsung device.

I'm in Tampa, FL.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Yeah pretty much identical in my own experience here in Ireland.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I never noticed it until switching to iPhone but I rarely see Androids in the wild. 4 out of 5 devices I see every day are easily iPhone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In public about equal the amount. Most people I personally know that used iPhones have moved to Android. I rarely see the 6+, but see plenty of the 6. Most Androids I see are Samsung or Nexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.