Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaunie1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Hi All,

We've just bought an iMac (running Yosemite) and myself and the wife would like to have a combined photo library.

We both have iPhones/iPads (running latest version of ios8.1) set up on our respective Apple IDs and this obviously keeps our music, apps and photos separate whenever we each log in to the iMac....ie I log in as me and sync my stuff and vice versa for the wife.

This is fine for the most part as we don't want to share music and apps. However, it's annoying sending each other/iCloud sharing batches of photos especially when we both use the same computer.

Is there a way of creating a shared photo library so that whenever I (or my wife) syncs to the iMac the photos will be added to this shared library and not our individual libraries.

Thanks in advance and happy new year to all!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Yes--you can use iCloud to do exactly what you're asking. Photos will be accessible on your iMac in iPhoto under both accounts, and on the iPads too (bonus!). All you need to do is create a shared album.

Shaunie1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks for the response.

We already share photos between accounts via icloud but its just a pain to keep doing it. It also means that we have the same photo on the mac twice.

Is there no way to combine photo libraries in to one so that any photos we import go directly in to this combined library automatically without having to do anything icloud related?

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.