Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, tech companies often take the opportunity to unveil new products. Well-known data storage company Seagate is no exception, and is introducing three impressive new products at the show.

The new 500GB Seagate Wireless portable hard drive is the company's latest HD designed specifically for use with tablets and smartphones like Apple's iPad and iPhone, introducing additional storage at affordable price. Available in five bright colors (lime green, cool blue, slate gray, fire-engine red, and white), the hard drive offers a nine hour battery life and the ability to store media like photos and videos, which can be streamed directly to an iOS device through the Seagate Media app.

seagatewireless.jpg
It includes a new auto backup feature for making a secondary copy of photos and videos, and it can be used for storing documents and other file types. Because it has built-in Wi-Fi, the Seagate Wireless does not need an existing network connection. The Seagate Wireless will be available in January for $129.99 from the Seagate website and through retailers like Amazon and Best Buy.

Seagate's second product, the Seagate Personal Cloud, is designed to offer an alternative to traditional server side cloud-based storage. The Personal Cloud allows users to backup their computers (with the Seagate Mobile Backup app) and store content securely on a dedicated hard drive that's located within the home rather than on a server.

Content can be accessed outside of the home much like any other cloud-based storage option through the Seagate Media app, and as a home media storage option, it can stream video and play full HD content with no buffering or lag.

seagatepersonalcloud-800x179.jpg
Seagate Personal Cloud demystifies the often frustrating process of finding, accessing and enjoying photos, videos and music on the device of your choice. Once connected to a wireless router and after a free download of the Seagate Media app, users will be treated to an intuitive, media-rich browsing experience that makes playback of content an effortless and enjoyable experience.
The Seagate Personal Cloud can be used with any device that's supported by Seagate Media apps, including Smart TVs from Samsung and LG, many consoles, streaming media players like the Chromecast and Apple TV, and smartphones and tablets like Apple's iPad and iPhone.

The Seagate Personal Cloud can also be set up with a secondary backup to other popular cloud services, like Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more for additional offsite protection. There's also a Seagate Personal Cloud 2-Bay option available with two internal drives for duplicate storage.

Seagate's Personal Cloud will begin shipping to retailers in January, in 3TB, 4TB, and 5TB capacities with pricing starting at $169. The Personal Cloud 2-Bay will be available in 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB capacities as well.

Seagate's most notable product this year is the Seagate Seven, which the company is calling the world's thinnest 500GB portable hard drive. At just 7mm thick, it uses Seagate's latest mobile hard drive technology and is aimed at tech enthusiasts who want the thinnest devices. With a steel finish, the hard drive is ultra portable and is, according to Seagate, the culmination of 35 years of experience.

seagateseven-800x101.jpg
The Seagate Seven will be available at the end of January for $99.99 from the Seagate website and from retailers like Amazon.

Seagate is also debuting several new LaCie products, including the designer LaCie Mirror hard drive and the LaCie Rugged RAID thunderbolt hard drive.

Article Link: Seagate Debuts iOS-Compatible Storage Option, Personal Cloud and Ultra-Thin Portable Hard Drive

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
will someone please come up with a portable hard disk with wifi and an iTunes Server. I hate having to hook up my mbp every time i want to watch or hear something of my apple tv.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Is it really not possible to make external storage for iOS without using a complementary proprietary app?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Uh, with online storage (Dropbox, Mozy, heck even iCloud), why the heck do I want to carry around this green sponge, with limited battery life, and be forced to use some junko proprietary app? Pointless.

The hard drive looks promising. Then again, Seagate needs to do something, since 256 GB USB 3.0 thumb drives are rapidly falling at or below the $200 mark. Soon they will eat Seagate's lunch if Corsair and others can get the prices a little lower.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Uh, with online storage (Dropbox, Mozy, heck even iCloud), why the heck do I want to carry around this green sponge, with limited battery life, and be forced to use some junko proprietary app? Pointless.

The hard drive looks promising. Then again, Seagate needs to do something, since 256 GB USB 3.0 thumb drives are rapidly falling at or below the $200 mark. Soon they will eat Seagate's lunch if Corsair and others can get the prices a little lower.

You still get 4 times more storage for your money. Eating them for lunch isn't happening just yet...

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Is it really not possible to make external storage for iOS without using a complementary proprietary app?

The supported methods of increasing storage are to either buy a new phone or use iCloud, which after a while will tell you to buy a new phone.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
This stores files on a single hard located (presumably) in your home.

How is this cloud storage? It isn't really. Just a network drive accessible over the internet.

You still have a single point of failure, unlike what true cloud services provide.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Imagine you're in a hotel room in a foreign country.

The first five minutes of the video that you watch through iCloud costs more in phone bills than this device does.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Imagine you're in a hotel room in a foreign country.

The first five minutes of the video that you watch through iCloud costs more in phone bills than this device does.

Imagine that your hotel room comes with free WiFi... welcome to 2015.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
will someone please come up with a portable hard disk with wifi and an iTunes Server. I hate having to hook up my mbp every time i want to watch or hear something of my apple tv.

If you are using an Apple TV why does it have to be portable? Lots of single disk NASes exist that will do that job. Even my old Buffalo Linkstation supports Time Machine OTA and has a built in iTunes server.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012

And a connection speed of only 1-3mbps (very realistic in many hotels across the western and eastern world, from someone [me] who spends 4/7 nights a week in hotels for work), where streaming reliably isn't possible or the iPad caches are too insignificant to maintain the stream well enough

Epoch KW

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Let's hope that they can resolve the iOS8 and playing iTunes purchased video/movies issues in their app.

If they or sandisk can fix the same issue they have I'm back in the market for one such device.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Usb 3.1

Bring it on, please. Maybe not until motherboards with USB 3.1 are more common. Should happen in the comming months, don't you think? At least during this year for sure.

Last edited:

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013

Imagine that you are in a shady hotel in a country known for monitoring Internet traffic also with free WiFi. I'd get the HDD and load it up with all the movies and media I want and avoid any potential fees, slow Internet, and/or governments that don't appreciate western entertainment.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The biggest advantage is that Jennifer Lawrence can now safely store/archive all her nudie selfies in this local Seagate Drive, and the paparazzi and hackers won't ever get to access it…. unless they manage to break into her house.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Seagate/WD, no thank you, HGST drives are so much better.
Sadly there are not many reliable drive manufacturers left, the former brands bought almost everyone out.
Yes, I am aware that HGST is part of them now as well, at least AFAIK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.