Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't drive and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is there something I should be aware of or missing?

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
They've possibly bought as many iPhones as Apple will allow them to.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't have a car and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is here something I should be aware of or missing?

The guy doesn't have a car but can afford a 1100 iPhone?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Correction: he says he don't drive. Not that he doesn't have a car but he doesn't drive. See that's what I'm saying is there any red flag here

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't have a car and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is here something I should be aware of or missing?

Well for a transaction of that magnitude I would probably prefer to meet at a bank to verify the cash is real. If his money is good then I wouldn't care what his reasons are for paying so much. I'd give up my 6+ right now for $1100 in a heartbeat.

pkmoazzam

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Why not? Since you want to sell it and they want to buy it. You are authorized where you want to meet up. People who doesn't have cars that doesnt mean they don't have money, could be many reasons why people don't have cars, Its your chance and risk. Try to think first and use it since you have a brain, why waste brain if you don't use it if not, give it someone who needs it. :) just kidding but seriously it's fine and tell them where you want to meet up unless it's a safe place to sell, like Starbucks or at police place. :)

----------

Well for a transaction of that magnitude I would probably prefer to meet at a bank to verify the cash is real. If his money is good then I wouldn't care what his reasons are for paying so much. I'd give up my 6+ right now for $1100 in a heartbeat.

And that too. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Correction: he says he don't drive. Not that he doesn't have a car but he doesn't drive. See that's what I'm saying is there any red flag here

Well, he sure has the drive to buy it from you.

I don't have any experience with CL, but based on what I've heard, you price it higher expecting the buyer to haggle it down. Looks like that didn't happen here so you have reason to be suspicious of this transaction.

Do it at a better place than McDonald's like a bank where you can deposit the money and see if it's good. Don't settle on a location close to him just because he claims not to drive.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Exactly. No haggling and he's paying full listing price. I just find it weird why he wants my phone so bad. How can I tell the money is real? What if he try my phone and ran away with it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Exactly. No haggling and he's paying full listing price. I just find it weird why he wants my phone so bad. How can I tell the money is real? What if he try my phone and ran away with it.

That is why people are telling you to meet at a bank. Not gonna lie, someone offering $1100, no car, and wants to meet at McDonald's is probably going to mug you.

pkmoazzam

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010

Find a surveillance camera inside and report it if stolen. :)

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Tell him to meet at your bank and once the money is verified, he can have the phone.

If he doesn't go with that - turn away.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't drive and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is there something I should be aware of or missing?

I'd pass on the deal. Too many red flags. Plus of all the listings, he is pressing you to sell yours to him? Better safe than sorry!

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Meet him at a bank that has armed security. If he agrees, he just wants a phone and may be blacklisted at your local Apple Store for buying bulk. ;)

If he refuses, he's a scammer.

He may start to haggle in person. Be prepared for that.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Not having a car is not the same as not being able to afford a car. Could be a million things.

When I sold my 17-inch macbook pro maxed out it was a similar scenario and that was like $3K.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Maybe he has no need for a car? I know many people who live in downtown Chicago and don't own a car because it's not worth it. They either take a cab or walk, and it just cost too much money to park in downtown Chicago.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

So why did you list it at that price to begin with?

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California

This sounds totally legit and nothing to worry about. You probably won't be getting any money for your iPhone6+ though...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe he has no need for a car? I know many people who live in downtown Chicago and don't own a car because it's not worth it. They either take a cab or walk, and it just cost too much money to park in downtown Chicago.

It's the willingness to grossly over-pay plus not having a car :)

He could have a cab take him to someone selling the phone much cheaper.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

You can tell the money is real by buying a cheap pen to check the "paper".

As far as him running with your phone, that can literally happen anywhere. The responses to that are: try and catch/stop him, or don't.

I am not saying it's 100% BS, but if you CAN buy the phone in store it seems strange. Maybe it is the simple fact that he doesn't drive. I don't know where you are, but is there zero public transit there? Story seems odd but not completely implausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.