Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aversenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
Hey.

I've tried to update my Iphone 4s with ios 6.1, jailbroken with Evad3rs Evasi0n Jailbreak.
I want to update it to ios 7.0.6. I have downloaded a ipsw file. I tried a lot of different guides and it always ends up with a error message.
Changed host files, turning of firewall, DFU-Mode, TinyUmbrella, Older versions of iTunes.
In the end i tried to update to ios 8 through iTunes completely, even that ended up with a error message.

Anyone have a soulution for my problem? Anyone now a way to do this without iTunes?
I dont remember all the error messages but some of them was, 4006, 11, 1601.

Sincerely.

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
Update iPhone 4s, jailbroken, errors

To the best of my knowledge, you can only update a jailbroken device using iTunes.

Aversenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
To the best of my knowledge, you can only update a jailbroken device using iTunes.

But do you have any idea why i am getting all these error messages?
I am clicking Shift+Click on restore button, then choosing my ipsw file. Tried DFU-Mode and all, am i missing something?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Hey.

I've tried to update my Iphone 4s with ios 6.1, jailbroken with Evad3rs Evasi0n Jailbreak.
I want to update it to ios 7.0.6. I have downloaded a ipsw file. I tried a lot of different guides and it always ends up with a error message.
Changed host files, turning of firewall, DFU-Mode, TinyUmbrella, Older versions of iTunes.
In the end i tried to update to ios 8 through iTunes completely, even that ended up with a error message.

Anyone have a soulution for my problem? Anyone now a way to do this without iTunes?
I dont remember all the error messages but some of them was, 4006, 11, 1601.

Sincerely.

You can only upgrade to the latest IOS Apple is signing and that is 8.1.2. Everything else is impossible.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can only update to the latest version of iOS being signed by Apple. Currently, that's 8.1.2.

I would…fix your hosts file so it points where it should, put your phone in DFU mode then connect to iTunes and when iTunes recognizes your phone do an update and restore.

Your initial series of problems began because you wanted to update to to 7.0.6 and that has not been possible for a long time.

Aversenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
You can only update to the latest version of iOS being signed by Apple. Currently, that's 8.1.2.

I would…fix your hosts file so it points where it should, put your phone in DFU mode then connect to iTunes and when iTunes recognizes your phone do an update and restore.

Your initial series of problems began because you wanted to update to to 7.0.6 and that has not been possible for a long time.

Okey, but i restored my hostfile, why did i still get errors when trying to update to ios 8? It said like (preparing iphone for restore) forever and then a error came.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Okey, but i restored my hostfile, why did i still get errors when trying to update to ios 8? It said like (preparing iphone for restore) forever and then a error came.
I'm sorry, I don't know. Maybe something you did from all those tutorials messed things up.

I've never edited my hosts file or done anything other than a straightforward restore and update. The last time was to iOS 7.1.2 and had it not been for the fact that I had to replace my iPhone 5 I'd still be on iOS 6.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.