Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Hey all,

I have a 2013 Macbook Air with Yosemite that is acting up. After using it for awhile, the keys will not work correctly. Usually backspace and a couple of random keys do not work. I have to reboot the laptop to regain functionality. I know it's a software issue.

Anyone else have this problem? Is the only solution to re-install Yosemite?

Thanks!

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Ok, I did a fresh install of Yosemite and it still occurs.

I'm still convinced it's a software issue, considering how sporadic it is.

I'm going to install mavericks and see if the problem persists, this why I can rule out a hardware issue.

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
Try resetting both the SMC and NVRAM before you go through the hassle of reinstalling your system software again. These control various functions of the hardware in your computer and if the settings get messed up it can cause weird issues such as this.

To reset the SMC:

1. Turn off the computer and ensure that it's plugged in with the power adapter.
2. Hold down Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time for at least 5 seconds.
3. Release the keys at the same time. You may see the charging indicator change color on the power adapter momentarily.

To reset NVRAM:

1. Turn the computer back on and immediately hold Command-Option-P-R.
2. Wait for the computer to restart, you'll hear the start up sound a second time.
3. Release the key combination and continue booting into OS X.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Try resetting both the SMC and NVRAM before you go through the hassle of reinstalling your system software again. These control various functions of the hardware in your computer and if the settings get messed up it can cause weird issues such as this.

To reset the SMC:

1. Turn off the computer and ensure that it's plugged in with the power adapter.
2. Hold down Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time for at least 5 seconds.
3. Release the keys at the same time. You may see the charging indicator change color on the power adapter momentarily.

To reset NVRAM:

1. Turn the computer back on and immediately hold Command-Option-P-R.
2. Wait for the computer to restart, you'll hear the start up sound a second time.
3. Release the key combination and continue booting into OS X.

Thanks, I tried that too. No dice!

I installled Mavericks and the "a" key wasn't working when creating a new account so I didn't even bother completing the installation, I reverted back to Yosemite.

Look's like a hardware issue. Very disappointing...

Not sure what to do now.

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
I would get in touch with an Apple store or an Authorized Service Provider to have the machine checked over at this point.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I would get in touch with an Apple store or an Authorized Service Provider to have the machine checked over at this point.

That's the plan for now. If they diagnose it as needing a new top case, I'll go ahead and order the part and replace it myself. Look's like it'll take a few hours to do it without breaking anything.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Why? My immediate thought was it looks like a hardware issue.

----------

Ah - well it needs to go for hardware service somehow.

I thought it was a hardware issue because it started literally right after installing Yosemite, but it was clearly a coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.