Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over a month after sparking discussion of a possible new 4-inch iPhone in 2015 based on supply chain sources speaking to Taiwanese media, Chinese site Feng.com now claims [Google Translate, via G for Games] its own sources are seeing no indication of such a device.

iphone_lineup_2014.jpg
Feng.com's sources claim the Cupertino company has not placed any orders with its supply chain related to a new 4-inch version of the iPhone for release in 2015. While the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have sold well in the few months they've been released to the public, some users continue to prefer the smaller 4-inch display seen on models of the past few years.
Wei Feng network today through Apple's supply chain has learned about the 4-inch screen iPhone 6s argument is just a hype.

Supply chain sources said that Apple has not made any new production tasks iPhone 4 inches to parts of the supply chain, and therefore will be launched on 4-inch screen Apple iPhone 6s argument is not true - at least so far.
Since the original report by Taiwanese media last month, rumors of a new 4-inch iPhone have been picked up by a few other sources including analysts in the region, but it is unclear how independent those follow-up reports truly are. As such, there is so far very little to support the existence of such a device.

Apple of course continues to sell 4-inch iPhones in the form of the iPhone 5s and 5c, and if the company holds true to form the iPhone 5s will continue to be sold as an entry-level option even following the expected late 2015 iPhone update. Without direct support for technologies such as NFC for direct Apple Pay usage, however, the device is missing some key features and if Apple does want to continue offering a smaller device beyond the 2015 lineup, it will need to develop an updated model.

Article Link: Supply Chain Sources Claim Rumors of New 4-Inch iPhone Are False

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Every time I manage to get a hold of a 5 or 5s all I can think of is "man, i miss this" as I reach to the top left corner with my thumb without breaking my pinky.

I'd totally be in for reverting to a 4"

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
4" is dead... time to move on people!

There is definitely a pocket of users that are not a fan of the 4.7" and higher sizes for the iPhones. I'm definitely not one of them, but to say that no one would prefer that Apple continue to sell a model that has recent, if not current innards is false.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I'd be perfectly fine with a larger iPhone, if it came in the form factor of the 5 series. The 6 series is, eh... HORRIBLE. Enough said.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Release the 4" phone. Phablets are stupid.

Not all phablets. Apple just took the 4" screen and stretched it. With the exception of reachability, they haven't taken advantage of the larger display at all.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
If Apple, would just move the Touch ID/home button to the back of the phone, they can make the bezels smaller, that would make the whole phone smaller.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Well, from what I remember no actual parts leaked from the iPhone 6 Plus either. This in sharp contrast to the many iPhone 6 parts that made it out. As such a lot of people doubted the existence of a bigger iPhone model.

Who knows the same is happening once again.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Not updating the 4'' iPhone would be a big mistake in my opinion. While I have and love the iPhone 6+, there are many people (including my wife) who won't go near a phone bigger than 4''. Her 5s is sill great, but she already said that she won't upgrade to anything bigger (and I believe her) - and many other also won't. And why not offer three different sizes ? - app developers already have to support this.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Not updating the 4'' iPhone would be a big mistake in my opinion. While I have and love the iPhone 6+, there are many people (including my wife) who won't go near a phone bigger than 4''. Her 5s is sill great, but she already said that she won't upgrade to anything bigger (and I believe her) - and many other also won't. And why not offer three different sizes ? - app developers already have to support this.

How big of a mistake? I wonder if you can come up with how many millions they might lose because they won't make the 4 " phone any more.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Release the 4" phone. Phablets are stupid.

Apple staying 4" for so long is stupid. I hated on Android phones before because of the seemingly absurd screen sizes, but I'm eating my words now that I have a 6 Plus.

4.7" doesn't even feel big any more, 4" feels tiny, and 3.5" feels like a child's phone.

With that said, I have nothing against a 4", and it would be nice to see a new 4", but there is no going back for me.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
How big of a mistake? I wonder if you can come up with how many millions they might lose because they won't make the 4 " phone any more.

You'd better believe that someone at Apple knows. If they decide not to revisit a particular form factor it is likely because they have data guiding that decision.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
4" feels tiny, and 3.5" feels like a child's phone.

With that said, I have nothing against a 4", and it would be nice to see a new 4", but there is no going back for me.

This.

Now whenever I pick up a 4 or 5 I'm like, "How did I ever deal with this tiny thing?"

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
4" is dead... time to move on people!

It's time to move on... to a non-Apple phone.

I love the irony that Android phones are now where to go for a smaller phone that can be used with one hand.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Too bad if true. Though I love my iPhone 6, it seems there's a lot of people who would welome a newly refreshed 4" model.

(But then again, what do I know?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.