Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merlin69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I have a MBP 15" Late 2008
2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
and OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

and

a MBP 13" Late 2011
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 300 512 MB
OS X Lion 10.7.5

I mainly use the 13" for corporate business, running Windows 7 Pro, MS Office and Goldmine with Parallels software. I like the 13" portability, size and weight.
I also use Lightroom 3 on OS X for my photo activity but the Intel HD Graphics is very poor for Lightroom and editing is very slow. Anyway photo work can be managed when outside.

At your opinion, may I consider to use the MBP 15" for photo activity when at home? I presume that having the NVIDIA the photo management performance will be better that the 13".

Additionally, I can (probably) upgrade RAM to 16 GB and install a SSD drive on the 15". What do you think about it?

Thanks ;-)

Stefano

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You can upgrade to ssd on either of those machines.
I'd strongly suggest it.

Merlin69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply.
So the NVIDIA is not really a lightning... Bad news...

About SSD: My local Apple dealer tried last month to install an SSD 1TB on the 13" (Original HD is 500 GB) but MBP had a Kernel Panic and so the dealer told me to forget any SSD installation. Dealer told me also that internal MBP fan started running at system boot (very strange) and that system had panic.
I suspect problem was linked to the SSD size. Probably too big.
What do you think?

I will check Forum about recommended SSD and how-to-install guide.

Thanks,
Stefano

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
So the NVIDIA is not really a lightning... Bad news...

About SSD: My local Apple dealer tried last month to install an SSD 1TB on the 13" (Original HD is 500 GB) but MBP had a Kernel Panic and so the dealer told me to forget any SSD installation. Dealer told me also that internal MBP fan started running at system boot (very strange) and that system had panic.
I suspect problem was linked to the SSD size. Probably too big.
What do you think?

I will check Forum about recommended SSD and how-to-install guide.

Thanks,
Stefano
Your dealer is full of crap and probably either botched the installation or installed a faulty SSD.

There are plenty of people running SSD's in those machines, with sizes over 500GB without issues.

Merlin69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Your dealer is full of crap and probably either botched the installation or installed a faulty SSD.

There are plenty of people running SSD's in those machines, with sizes over 500GB without issues.

Thanks. I presumed so.
I will try to do by myself the job avoiding any problem. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.