Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevor Harris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hey All,

So I've had to do a re-install of Snow Leopard on my 2006 Macbook. I do have a time machine backup, and was hoping to use Migration Assistant to bring my machine back up to its previous state.

However, for some reason, the Migration Assistant isn't picking up the hard drive which has all the backups on it, despite the fact that it shows up on my desktop. See the attached screenshot, showing the time machine hard drive (Storage 1) icon on the desktop, but yet it's not showing up on the list.

Mind you, I can just transfer all the files manually, but then I'd have to re-install all programs - not a huge deal, but this behavior is curious to say the least. Any ideas?

Trevor

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    381.3 KB · Views: 117

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Any ideas? ]]

My opinion only, but...

... NEXT time, try CarbonCopyCloner instead.

If you had had a CCC bootable backup handy, you wouldn't be having these problems...

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Is the fresh install at 10.6.8?
If not, download the update.
Think you also need the same user credentials on your fresh install that you had as main user on your previous install too.
If so, you should be able to go into time-machine using the Star Wars interface and restore individual files from recent backup.

If you want everything read this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18848

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.