Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a set of artist renditions, 9to5Mac offers a look at Apple's long-rumored 12-inch Retina MacBook Air. The renditions and details shared in the report are consistent with previous reports on the machine, although plans do sometimes change during the development process.

retina_macbook_air_render.jpg
As previously described in rumors, the next MacBook Air will have roughly the same footprint as the current 11-inch model, but include a 12-inch display nestled inside narrower bezels. The machine's keyboard will also extend from edge to edge while the speakers move to a set of grilles above the keyboard.

retina_macbook_air_side.jpg
Comparison of 12-inch Retina MacBook Air (left) with current 11-inch MacBook Air (right)
As part of Apple's effort to reduce the thickness of the MacBook Air, the new 12-inch model will do away with nearly all of the ports currently found on the machine, including the usual USB and MagSafe ports. Instead, the machine's sides will include only a headphone jack, a pair of microphones, and a USB Type-C port that appears set to handle both connectivity and charging.

Apple's new Retina MacBook Air is expected to run on new Broadwell Core M to allow for the thin, fanless design and perhaps come in multiple color options similar to the company's iPhone and iPad lineups. The machine has been rumored to be entering production as soon as this month, although it is unclear whether Apple may wait until its Worldwide Developers Conference in June to launch the device or introduce it earlier in the year.

Article Link: Apple's 12-Inch Retina MacBook Air Shown in Artist's Renditions

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Don't think there'd be speaker grills at the top, looks kinda ugly. Probably still under the keyboard.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
So it will only have one port, and that port will be used for charging. So basically, you can either charge, or you can use USB.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I do feel like the Macbook Air should lose some weight now that the Pro's are thinner at the thickest point. I wonder how much weight it'll end up shedding.

I'm not sure about that artist rendition though... Looks off.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
And the USB dongle will be sold for a separate $19.99 :roll eyes:

Sorry, but the lack of standard ports is still a big shortcoming, even for the average user. Still, it looks like an interesting machine.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Looks a fantastic machine if you're just web surfing and taking notes on it, but wow, it doesn't matter how thin it is if you need to lug a USB hub everywhere with it...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Power button in a silly place. I hope it has classic USB in addition to the new port.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'll wait for the real product to be announced as renders never do the real thing justice. Kind of surprised there have been no parts leaks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.