Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Gonna look for a Time Machine setup for my MacBook Pro. I don't frequently take my MacBook out so wired connection of a USB HDD is not a huge issue, though it is a bit clumsy to plug and unplug three wires every time. Moreover, my router works flawlessly in both speed and coverage, so the networking function of Time Capsule would add less to no value to my current use. Is there still a point to buy Time Capsule after all, and if so, is using Time Machine on Time Capsule reliable over wireless network?

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Gonna look for a Time Machine setup for my MacBook Pro. I don't frequently take my MacBook out so wired connection of a USB HDD is not a huge issue, though it is a bit clumsy to plug and unplug three wires every time. Moreover, my router works flawlessly in both speed and coverage, so the networking function of Time Capsule would add less to no value to my current use. Is there still a point to buy Time Capsule after all, and if so, is using Time Machine on Time Capsule reliable over wireless network?

Wifi TM is very reliable, (initial backup should be wired as it takes a while) but if you already have a router that you are happy with.... it doesn't really make sense for you to buy a TC.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Time machine can target any wifi connected NAS, western digital do some cheap ones.

Amazon have them in 2-4 TB sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=western+digital+NAS

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Time machine can target any wifi connected NAS, western digital do some cheap ones.

Amazon have them in 2-4 TB sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=western+digital+NAS
Time Machine officially supports only internal HDD, directly attached ext. HDD and Time Capsule, doesn't it? I mean if I use these options, I see no difference from putting a sparse bundle on my Windows server, while both seem having quite a lot of issues per my quick skim through the net.

----------

Wifi TM is very reliable, (initial backup should be wired as it takes a while) but if you already have a router that you are happy with.... it doesn't really make sense for you to buy a TC.
I am happy with it absolutely. Though a TC can enable the ac Wifi for two of my devices, it is not something really necessary (needs vs desire, ugh) as I can improve my network by enabling 5GHz (it is 802.11/n though) and repositioning my router. I foresee no stress in my wireless network either, as I won't stream like Blu-ray contents over the network... So weighting ac over a couple hundred of bucks in my case sounds a bit... wasted.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It now supports NAS

Time Machine officially supports only internal HDD, directly attached ext. HDD and Time Capsule, doesn't it? I mean if I use these options, I see no difference from putting a sparse bundle on my Windows server, while both seem having quite a lot of issues per my quick skim through the net.

----------

I am happy with it absolutely. Though a TC can enable the ac Wifi for two of my devices, it is not something really necessary (needs vs desire, ugh) as I can improve my network by enabling 5GHz (it is 802.11/n though) and repositioning my router. I foresee no stress in my wireless network either, as I won't stream like Blu-ray contents over the network... So weighting ac over a couple hundred of bucks in my case sounds a bit... wasted.

See western digitals own advice

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...network-drive-with-apple-time-machine-backups

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Time Machine

I back up my MBP to an external hard drive, connected to my Mac Mini, over WiFi.

I don't have it turned on, but it's a weekly process for me.

Works great.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Gonna look for a Time Machine setup for my MacBook Pro. I don't frequently take my MacBook out so wired connection of a USB HDD is not a huge issue, though it is a bit clumsy to plug and unplug three wires every time.

Do you know that there are plenty of USB external HDD that only require the USB cable to connect? They draw power over the USB so there is no clumsy mess of wires. I have a Seagate Slim and use Time Machine: easy, fast, and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_hntxk3j1v_b

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Do you know that there are plenty of USB external HDD that only require the USB cable to connect? They draw power over the USB so there is no clumsy mess of wires. I have a Seagate Slim and use Time Machine: easy, fast, and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_hntxk3j1v_b
I know and that's why I say wired connection is not a no-go. Though I prefer those with standalone power, as still it is one wire to the Mac. Thanks anyway.
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.