Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
So im on my last semester of college, and taking few programming classes, one will require C and the other one will require python... and i was wondering if i could use my iPad2 to do this... there is an app named Codepad never used it, but it seems that it would let me compile python and C...

Any of you use your ipad for programming? Any suggestion on keyboard and app???

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There is Pythonista. Codepad is for website stuff.

You will do a lot better with an actual computer, especially when you're in the process of learning. These apps will have an extra bar to deal with typical keys you would use, and there's also ProType, but you need to get efficient writing code on a standard keyboard before jumping into it on the iPad.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
There is Pythonista. Codepad is for website stuff.

You will do a lot better with an actual computer, especially when you're in the process of learning. These apps will have an extra bar to deal with typical keys you would use, and there's also ProType, but you need to get efficient writing code on a standard keyboard before jumping into it on the iPad.

Well im not learning anymore, last semester :) and im very efficient at writing on a keyboard, i work as a programmer, my main problem is carrying that 6lb laptop around im too old for it :( (only 26 but old and lazy)..

Ill look at Pythonista... Any recommendation on a app to write C code?

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
You couldn't pay me enough to code on a computer without a proper keyboard and mouse for navigating/selecting text, especially while learning the language still (and the learning never really stops!)

+1 for actual computer, or at least a Surface-type thing that supports USB devices, mouse, external monitor, split-screen, etc.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Any of you use your ipad for programming? Any suggestion on keyboard and app???

No way would I use an iPad for serious coding. It might be good for whipping up and testing a few lines of Python, but I wouldn't use it for anything beyond that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.