Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
SunnComm Technologies Inc. (OTC:STEH) of Phoenix announced today
that its industry-leading CD copy protection and enhancement
technology is now completely functional and secure on Apple
(Nasdaq:AAPL) Macintosh computers, in addition to its present
functionality on PC-type computers. The technology known in the music
industry as MediaMax CD-3, received very high ratings and is being
embraced for extensive testing matrix projects by the major labels in
several markets.
MediaMax CD-3 technology prevents the unauthorized uploading and
copying of digital original music to illegal peer-to-peer file-sharing
services while, at the same time, allowing those purchasing SunnComm
protected compact discs to legally PLAY*MOVE*SHARE(TM) the music using
SunnComm's PromoPlay(TM) functionality. This week, SunnComm announced
that Sterling Entertainment, a division of UAV, ordered MediaMax
technology to protect their new Ike and Tina Turner release, "The
Early Sessions," scheduled for release later this quarter.
"Completing the Macintosh development of our security feature for
the MediaMax CD-3 product solution is a monumental step forward and
one of the last major pieces required to complete our audio CD
protection puzzle," said Eric Vandewater, SunnComm's chief technology
officer. "The overall dependability and functionality of MediaMax CD-3
will now allow CD buyers to make authorized copies of music on their
computer for their own personal use. They will be also be able to
listen to the music on their PCs or transport the content to portable
listening devices. All of these features are available through
SunnComm's proprietary multimedia user interface that is engaging,
secure and fun for the consumer," concluded Vandewater.
SunnComm technology locks down the digital original music and
allows those purchasing compact discs (CDs), which incorporate
SunnComm's technology, to legally use the disc's PLAY*MOVE*SHARE(TM)
features. At the same time, music tracks on the compact discs play in
all known CD and DVD players in the market today.

heres a link to the full press release: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030123/230279_1.html

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i was really hoping that Steve and Apple wouldnt buy into this BS music copyright protection S***. not that there are any good P2P file sharing systems out there for macs anyway...id be interested to see exactly how this thing is supposed to prevent you from uploading music or downloading for that matter unless its built into the OS...and i cant believe apple would do that.:mad:

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Man, that doesn't take my sleep away for a sec.

I can easily take my CD player and load the music using my Audio Media 3 card or any other audio imput and import the files in to Protools free.

Sound quality? Forget about it, you loose more using MP3 files and listening the music thru the native computer audio out put.

As soon some one lunch that security system, some one else is gonna do that with the song. May be the average user won't be able but you do not need an audio engineer degree to do it neither.

... un less it works like DVD but not even that. Music is so easy to copy manteining the same quality.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i'm pretty sure that this is not a case of apple jumping on the copy-protection bandwagon, but a case of the @ssh0les who produce copy-protected cds making them work on the mac (keep in mind that i in no way condone pirating commercial property, but i abhor infringement of the free use policy toward something I own).

any copy-protected cds out there now will usually cause a mac to have a hardware failure if you insert it into the cd drive because apparently some people's property is more important than others.

All of these features are available through SunnComm's proprietary multimedia user interface that is engaging, secure and fun for the consumer
boy, that does sound fun :rolleyes: .

i could be wrong about this, but i believe it's just an issue of compatibility, not apple supporting any other company.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
i could be wrong about this, but i believe it's just an issue of compatibility, not apple supporting any other company.

From what I've read about this company, I'm pretty sure you are right. If it works as advertised, and the only thing I can't do is upload the music to a PTP network, I don't really have a problem with it. In the case of the Mac software, it would be pretty nice if it was an iTunes plug-in.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Apple sensative to entertainment indus. concerns

It seems Apple is sensative re: offending the entertainment industry on all fronts. The article at the back of this month's Macworld notes that imove blocks one from downloading scenes from commercial DVDs, whereas the PC industry does not place such a restriction in its software. The commentary notes that there is no legal requirement, but a choice Apple has made to keep MPAA types happy. It makes sense that they would have the same policy regarding music. It doesn't seem to make sense for Apple from a commercial standpoint.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Apple sensative to entertainment indus. concerns

Originally posted by law guy
It seems Apple is sensative re: offending the entertainment industry on all fronts. The article at the back of this month's Macworld notes that imove blocks one from downloading scenes from commercial DVDs, whereas the PC industry does not place such a restriction in its software. The commentary notes that there is no legal requirement, but a choice Apple has made to keep MPAA types happy. It makes sense that they would have the same policy regarding music. It doesn't seem to make sense for Apple from a commercial standpoint.

What do you mean by "downloading" scenes from a DVD? Do you mean ripping the scenes yerself? Grabbing them from a P2P network? Hooking a DVD player upto yer Mac and using iMovie to capture from the DVD player?

Lethal

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: Re: Apple sensative to entertainment indus. concerns

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

What do you mean by "downloading" scenes from a DVD? Do you mean ripping the scenes yerself? Grabbing them from a P2P network? Hooking a DVD player upto yer Mac and using iMovie to capture from the DVD player?

Lethal

The Macworld writer described trying to do this on his mac, I'm assuming from the SD to the HDD. This interpretation is supported by his description of dropping it into his pc and being able to do it.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
From what I understand of this issue, I think Apple is making the right move. There is a big push for the "industry" to resolve this on their own before the government gets involved. As I read somewhere, if the industry is forced to use a government developed technology, it will cost more and do less.

As long as I can move the material from one device to another for my personal use, I don't mind. I hope it is built into the OS or as someone suggested, a plug-in. I don't want to be forced to interface with some software decrypting utility everytime I pop in a CD or DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.