Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RampantSpooning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Hi all,

I just had a similar post to this one deleted from the Apple Support Forums without explanation, can't log in to my account now, so not exactly sure what is going on!

Anyway, basically I am looking to set up a central Media Hub (all my iTunes content - music, video, apps etc.) that I can control via my Macbook Pro and iPhone/iPad using Home Sharing and/or Airplay. I also have an Apple TV, Zeppelin Air and Airport Express.

Lots of people's solution seems to be a Mac mini, but then I though why can't I just use my old windows PC and buy some extra storage? I can control it via Home Sharing from my Macbook, allowing me to send video to the Apple TV and audio to the Zeppelin. Equally I can use the Apple Remote from my iPhone and iPad to again send video and audio to the Apple TV and Zeppelin respectively.

So my question is this: Is there any reason for to change to a Mac mini? Are there benefits I am not thinking of? Bear in mind, I won't use if for anything other than media. It will just sit on my TV stand.

Thanks, in advance.
Tom

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Hi all,

I just had a similar post to this one deleted from the Apple Support Forums without explanation, can't log in to my account now, so not exactly sure what is going on!

Anyway, basically I am looking to set up a central Media Hub (all my iTunes content - music, video, apps etc.) that I can control via my Macbook Pro and iPhone/iPad using Home Sharing and/or Airplay. I also have an Apple TV, Zeppelin Air and Airport Express.

Lots of people's solution seems to be a Mac mini, but then I though why can't I just use my old windows PC and buy some extra storage? I can control it via Home Sharing from my Macbook, allowing me to send video to the Apple TV and audio to the Zeppelin. Equally I can use the Apple Remote from my iPhone and iPad to again send video and audio to the Apple TV and Zeppelin respectively.

So my question is this: Is there any reason for to change to a Mac mini? Are there benefits I am not thinking of? Bear in mind, I won't use if for anything other than media. It will just sit on my TV stand.

Thanks, in advance.
Tom

I use an ASUS Revo 3700 with an Atom processor as an iTunes Server. That's about all it can handle, but I've had it running on that for three years, I think, and however many versions of iTunes have come out in that time frame. I say if it works, go for it!

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks, in advance.
Tom

are you going to be using it just as a server or are you going to use it like a HTPC?

RhythmAndBlues

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
Maybe it's just the vagaries of my PC setup, but I tend to find that Apple devices 'play better' with Macs. Certainly, I've had more issues with Windows iTunes than I've ever had with OS X iTunes.

Purely anecdotally. My experiences may be isolated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.