Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi! So, I recently put a CompactFlash card in my iPod Mini. At first, it was recognized by my Maf Mini and I tried to restore it but it couldn't "connect to the update server"

So, I ejected it and inserted it again, but now it's stuck in a loop where it's only recognized for about a second, and isn't recognized, the iPod restarts, and it's recognized again. What could be the cause of this?

I also tried Firewore, but with that it wasn't recognized at all, and then after I removeit my iPod suddenly has the "do not disconnect" syncing thing, and it then restarts to show the folder with the exclamation point.

What do I do ;_;!

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
First, the CF card must be ATA-compatible. Assuming yours is, remove card and format to Fat32 or MacOS if you're on Apple. Then, install the CF card, making sure the lock switch is ON before plugging in the battery; you don't want it turning on before it connects to a computer. After you have the battery in, connect your iPod cable WITHOUT allowing the iPod to turn on before it's connected. This is very important! When you plug the cable in, it should come on and show up on your computer. If it doesn't mount right as a disk, format it again and then restore with iTunes.
I've toyed with quite a few Minis (upgrading with CF and 256gb SDXC), and it seems if you just install the CF card and turn it on, the iPod has somewhat of a firmware on it, but will not sync right and will give you the bad drive icon after disconnecting. The key is to get the firmware on the CF card first, before it has a chance to start acting wierd. Once you restore it, it should work fine.
BTW, what is the size and model of your card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.