Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple is rumored to be aiming for March as the launch month for the Apple Watch, Chinese company Hyperdon was at CES selling fake versions of the new Apple product called Smart Watch, according to Mashable.

Fake_Chinese_Apple_Watch-13.jpg
Fake Apple Watch known as the Hyperdon Smart Watch. Image via Mashable​
The watch's screen only displays when it's turned on, and many of its icons are blatant ripoffs of Apple designs. The pairing process took a few tries, but once connected to my iPhone 6, I was able to make phone calls and play music through the watch. It even vibrates when I get a call.
Mashable was able to purchase the watch for $27. It comes with a pedometer, stopwatch, alarm and a feature referred to as "Anti lost", which Mashable estimated could be used to alert a user to when the watch is out of Bluetooth range.

The Smart Watch also has notifications from WeChat and other apps, but it requires downloading a "sketchy-looking APK" that appears to only work with jailbroken iPhones. It charges via USB cable and Hyperdon claims it can last for "up to 180 hours". Mashable was not able to test this claim. Hyperdon says it sells its products in retail stores in the U.S. and China, but did not detail where its locations are.

Apple has continually suffered from counterfeit Apple products in China, with authorities breaking up counterfeit iPhone rings and shutting down fake Apple Stores.

Article Link: Chinese Company Hyperdon Sold Fake Apple Watches at CES

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
for $25 and 180 hours of battery, probably worth the 1/15th it costs compared to the cheapest iwatch.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I'm surprised that the thing can actually make calls and play music, seeing as it's a cheap POS. Wonder what it's made of? Cheap plastics?

Also, the Digital Crown on the fake watch looks wayyyy off. It looks like a cog or gear on the fake thing.

Last edited:

travisjaymoore

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Why is it an embarrassment? Because a company has managed to produce the product for $25 that Apple will be charging 20 x that for?

Right, because Apple's product and this one enjoy so much parity. So we should definitely be comparing the price between the two.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Only to be expected. Though, the battery life is better on this knock off!

Why is it an embarrassment? Because a company has managed to produce the product for $25 that Apple will be charging 20 x that for?

I think the Apple quality may be far higher for a start!

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
not only it looks exactly same as Apple Watch.

it only costs 1/15 what Apple wants to gouge you for. AND the battery life is 10 times what Apple can do.

Let's be honest, this is probably made in the same factory that's producing AppleWatch.

----------

I don't know why but the picture made me sick.

it's okay, I don't particularly like the look of Applewatch either, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it makes me sick

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow! I saw this coming though! Damn, it sucks that Apple can't go after these China companies copying their design.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011

I just logged in to say that your comment just shows how ignorant you are of how a final product such as the Apple Watch gets its final price. The price you pay includes years of research, development, which again intrinsically include design, prototyping, machines, countless man hours, the very same again for the accompanying software. Potatohead thieves can blatantly rip these off and sell inferior plastic junk (eg. Samsung) for 1/20th the price, because they didn't have to do any of these.

If you don't understand product development and business management, I'd suggest you refrain yourself from making ridiculous comments about it.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I'm still not feeling the vibe of a smart watch. I specifically bought a wrist watch that is solar powered and is equipped with a rechargeable battery for the reason being that I have trouble enough remembering to charge my phone. At least with my watch I know that it'll always be on and ready to go.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Those who made this rip-off product are no doubt proud of their accomplishment, while we in the western world shake our heads in disbelief at how brazen these guys are……. unbelievable!

rip offs and plagiarism hapoen everywhere, not just China... You know how many western college professors rip research of unknown researchers from Asia?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
So these guys actually came to CES to sell fake carp. Ballsy? Dumb?
:eek:

ikr, but based on the reports it does seem workable, and it would be funny if the watch had the same amount of battery life as the apple watch but probably won't be same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.