Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gothboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
I'm interested in running Mountain Lion on my 2006 Mac Pro. Do I have to upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB video card to a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB or similar to do this or can it wait until after? Can anyone give me the best and easiest way I'm only interested in ML right now no need for yosemite!

My plan is to get a fresh HD and put it where my SL drive is now, order ML disc from Apple and install that way. Will this eliminate the need for an additional install drive?

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 13 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

First time here can someone just provide me a link to a post on the subject it's no doubt been discussed before.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
There are a few ways to do this. The EASIEST way is to use Tiamo's boot.efi modification (which I have been told works with Mountain Lion), but that would require you to get a new graphics card, as you would be booting the native, 64bit kernel.

If you want to keep your 7300 GT, I believe the only way to run ML is to use MLPostFactor, which is outlined HERE. This allows you to keep your 7300 GT, as it involves using a 32bit kernel, and therefore will still load 32bit kexts, required for that graphics card.

Gothboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
If you want to keep your 7300 GT, I believe the only way to run ML is to use MLPostFactor, which is outlined HERE. This allows you to keep your 7300 GT, as it involves using a 32bit kernel, and therefore will still load 32bit kexts, required for that graphics card.

Thanks! That thread is over 100 pages long do you know where in that they go over the actual ML Postfactor instructions?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Thanks! That thread is over 100 pages long do you know where in that they go over the actual ML Postfactor instructions?
It's quite a big hack and a bit fragile, running the entire OS with patched and old beta 32-bit kernel drivers just to stick with your graphics card.

If I were you, I'd at least consider a new graphics card and using a 64-bit kernel as delivered by Apple with as it's exactly one file to replace in an otherwise stock Apple OS X Mountain Lion install. If you get a properly-Mac flashed EFI32 or EBC card, the lowest that will work is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, or a better inexpensive card is the Nvidia GeForce 120 GT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.