Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In mid-December, we reported that Apple was working on a minor iOS 8.1.3 update as developers test iOS 8.2, and it appears that the iOS 8.1.3 update could be close to seeing a public release.

According to BGR's sources, Apple is planning on debuting an iOS 8 software update "sometime in the next week" and while the site cannot confirm whether it's a new beta or a public release, our own data suggests the upcoming update is most likely iOS 8.1.3.

Over the course of the past week, MacRumors has seen an increase in visits from devices on Apple's networks that identify themselves as running iOS 8.1.3, and as of yesterday, that number jumped significantly, suggesting a larger number of Apple employees are now testing the software ahead of a public launch.

The first hints of iOS 8.1.3 appeared on December 8 just ahead of the release of iOS 8.1.2, and while initial visit numbers were in the dozens for much of the month, we are now seeing hundreds of visits from devices that are running iOS 8.1.3.

8_1_3_jan_visits_apple.jpg
Visitors to MacRumors.com via Apple's networks from devices running iOS 8.1.3
We are also seeing a larger number of general devices (not specifically from Apple-based networks) running iOS 8.1.3 and while there are likely some faked identifiers in the general pool of web visitors, an increased number of visits directly from Apple networks has historically hinted at Apple's software development plans.

8_1_3_jan_visits.jpg
Overall visitors to MacRumors.com from devices running iOS 8.1.3
Like iOS 8.1.2, which fixed a ringtone issue along with other bugs, iOS 8.1.3 is expected to be a minor update that bundles in small bug fixes and performance improvements. As with the previous release, iOS 8.1.3 is likely to be launched to the public without a beta test.

iOS 8's next major update is iOS 8.2 with the WatchKit SDK, which was seeded to developers in November. As an update that introduces significant system changes, iOS 8.2 will see an extended beta testing period before launching alongside the upcoming Apple Watch. It remains unknown when Apple plans to debut the Apple Watch, but recent rumors have hinted at a March launch.

Aside from iOS 8.1.3 and iOS 8.2, Apple employees also appear to be testing both iOS 8.3 and iOS 9, but visits from devices running those versions of iOS remain low.

Update: According to a source who spoke to MacRumors, Apple on Wednesday seeded iOS 8.1.3 build 12B460 to select retail employees for testing, which explains the increase in visits we've seen from devices running the 8.1.3 software.

Apple has involved its retail employees in OS X testing for several years, but the early release of iOS 8.1.3 marks the first time Apple's retail workers have received access to iOS for testing purposes. Apple has not specified what changes are in iOS 8.1.3 or when it will be released.

Update 2: Our source has clarified that iOS 8.1.3 was actually released to employees on Wednesday, January 7, not Monday, and the software appears to include only under-the-hood bug fixes that are not readily apparent.

Article Link: Minor iOS 8.1.3 Update Likely Coming Next Week [Updated]

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
If it fixes pulling up control center when keyboard is up....... I'll be happy.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The only annoying bugs I notice on my iPhone 6 are some rotation issues and random graphical lag.

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
This probably isn't going to happen. If your battery life is drastically different on iOS 8 there's probably something wrong with your phone or a corrupt setting on your device.

My iPhone 6 came with iOS 8 and there's nothing wrong with my device.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
This probably isn't going to happen. If your battery life is drastically different on iOS 8 there's probably something wrong with your phone or a corrupt setting on your device.

I'll second that. Try a hard reboot and turning off apps that do background refresh. I have a few friends who complained about battery life and I looked at the settings on their phones and they pretty much turned on notifications and background refresh for every app that asks...

Le sigh...

Turning all of the unnecessary apps off and WOW, who knew, battery life extended.

Sometimes, the battery is just failing.
Sometimes, it's the apps.
Sometimes its the OS.

I'm assuming people try a few things before they think it's the OS. My iPhone 6 Plus has been amazing with battery life thus far.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
It's funny how Apple makes no attempt to conceal beta iOS version numbers (and their IPs?) — it means MacRumors can keep an eye on what Apple employees are checking out (surveilling) on MacRumors.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]
Visitors to MacRumors.com via Apple's networks from devices running iOS 8.1.3

Overall visitors to MacRumors.com from devices running iOS 8.1.3

Why does MacRumors, time and time again with this sort of post, not put up a y-axis label and scale on these graphs? The graphs are totally meaningless without a scale. Is that a jump from 2 visitors per month to 7 visitors per month? Or is that a jump from 5,292 visitors per month to 20,932 visitors per month?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I noticed yesterday the iWorks suite apps were updated. That usually seems to tie into a new IOS update. Maybe something will be enabled?

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
4s with iOS 8.1.2 and absolutely no battery issues. It is good to check for apps set for background refresh. That can be a real drain in some cases. One app in particular, a guitar tuner, seems to drain heavily if I don't shut it down when finished. But all in all, the 4s is holding up well with the latest system software.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Lets see if this fixes the not so random iPad gestures that stop working. Spent 2 weeks back and forth with Apple and they finally got engineers to acknowledge the issue back in early December.

Otherwise I think they have about 4 people working on this stuff while the rest of the team slaves over the Apple watch as tends to happen at Apple with "high priority" releases. Last year no one was working on Mavericks and everyone was working on iOS 7. Reverse for iOS 8. And now the watch.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Why does MacRumors, time and time again with this sort of post, not put up a y-axis label and scale on these graphs? The graphs are totally meaningless without a scale. Is that a jump from 2 visitors per month to 7 visitors per month? Or is that a jump from 5,292 visitors per month to 20,932 visitors per month?
This! So much this. It literally, not the figurative literally but the literal literally, makes my eye twitch. :mad:

Gosh, it'd be great to have a Y axis to let us know how many hits you have, vs. the relative numbers...

It's like reading a sentence that doesn't have
:D

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I get amazing battery life with my 6 Plus. Tbh, battery life alone was worth the upgrade from my 5S, everything else is splendid, wonderful gravy. Seriously, I get home with 40% battery life these days, whereas my 5S had about 5% if I hadn't had the chance to charge it midday. That 5% would remain 'cos I'd rationed it from about 20% onwards.

Note: I do zero gaming on my phone, barring maybe 10 holes a day on Desert Golfing. I stopped phone gaming with my 5S for battery reasons, never got back into it and now reap the benefits. No more midday charging or rushing to the mains when I get home for me these days. Bravo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.