Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
so what iPhone models can be unlocked or work on tmobile? software or other unlock? my girlfriend's old mytouch 3g crapped out on her and i want her to have an iPhone instead of a galaxy. thanks guys!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The only iphones that can me software unlocked are iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4 if its still on old ios 4.0.1 baseband version.
Other ones can be hardware unlocked with gevey sim adapters or the best way is if they are IMEI unlocked.
You can find some decent priced unlocked iphone 5, 5C models on swappa, ebay, CL, amazon etc...

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
The only iphones that can me software unlocked are iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4 if its still on old ios 4.0.1 baseband version.
Other ones can be hardware unlocked with gevey sim adapters or the best way is if they are IMEI unlocked.
You can find some decent priced unlocked iphone 5, 5C models on swappa, ebay, CL, amazon etc...

alright thanks. so if she would get an att iphone 4s, she could call att and have them unlock it? whats the cost in that?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
alright thanks. so if she would get an att iphone 4s, she could call att and have them unlock it? whats the cost in that?

if at&t approves of the unlock, then it will be free but i think they don't have an obligation to do so if you aren't a customer with them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.