Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry Cross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
This is a short film which I have been working on over the Christmas period. It is about a real life boy who wakes up in a cartoon, medieval world.

The entire thing was shot in front of a green screen, and integrated into the 3D environment.

Originally this was supposed to just be a short film, but I am now considering turning it into a web series. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pK4xwHOV0

screenshot_00139.png

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Harry, production quality and story idea very good. But don't waste your time making anymore on this subject, use your talent and skill to create something of interest and challenging. Try some action material of historical interest.
Why i'm saying this, we have seen what you can do with effects. Time to step up a gear in my point of view.
But if you get request to do more then please disregard my statements.;)

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I work in tv production professionally so I'll chime in here.

I kind of agree with the previous comment but I think you can tweak this project some more to gain experience.

The 3D world needs some rendering help, look into ambient occlusion and global illumination. That will help a lot. Also look into some texture tutorials so you can get rid of all the pixelation thats everywhere. I would UV map it personally. Also the keying has a lot of chatter around the edges, look up light wrapping and edge blur for that.

I wouldn't bother with the web series depending on your goals. If you have a lot of spare time or just want the experience go for it but if money is your goal just know that web series have a very hard time gaining an audience and network budgets are usually in the 2-3k range which is basically nothing considering the time that goes into it.

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
I'll chime in and say that although I don't know the game, the acting and story "feel" strong here. Story and "feel" will always triumph anything technical that the shots may need. If your heart is in it, follow it. Well done, it held my interest!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.