Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I have found surprisingly little buzz out there about a potential new time capsule. It looks like there was only a year between the first two generations, and 2 years between the more recent few - which would suggest that there may be a new one sometime in summer 2015 (most recent release was june/july 2013, i believe).

Is the lack of buzz about it just because it's less of a priority than, say, the apple watch - or is there something i'm missing suggesting that there won't be a new one? If it's unlikely to come this year, I'll go ahead and buy now - but if it is just a matter of waiting another few months i'm happy to do so.

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
While we do not know anything about upcoming products, it is possible that there is a new Time Capsule soon. If it does come out, I truly believe it will be a spec bump rather than a new design.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Unlikely, as mid 2013 was the last one, and Apple hardly ever upgrade peripherals very often. But maybe mid-late 2015.

Although if anything, I'd only suspect a spec bump at this time too, to maybe 3TB & 4TB drives instead of the 2 & 3TB ones they offer now.

— rubbish I know, given there are 8TB HDD's around now (at a high price, of course), but they could at least offer the 5 & 6TB drives at the current price points, but they won't, as Apple are ultra-conservative on the drive sizes they offer in these things when they upgrade them from past experience.

It's pretty ludicrous to me. As they offer 3TB HDD's inside some machines they sell, yet only offer a TC of the max 3TB same size – while it;s recommended to have around 1.5-2x a backup device for incremental backups. Guess the 'iCloud' is what they may be waiting for for these in the next couple of years; just as they do for iOS phones/pads, but a lot more complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.