Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey guys,

Is it possible to have the Macintosh take the contents of every folder. . . .and copy it into one folder?

Ie if I have:

Folder 1: Horror: (Some files)
Folder 2: Comedy: (Some files)
Folder 3: Folder: Cartoon: (Some files)

. . .

Is it possible to have the Mac to the end of each folder. . . get the files. . .remove them from the folder and put them all into one big unorganised folder?

----------

Hey guys,

Is it possible to have the Macintosh take the contents of every folder. . . .and copy it into one folder?

Ie if I have:

Folder 1: Horror: (Some files)
Folder 2: Comedy: (Some files)
Folder 3: Folder: Cartoon: (Some files)

. . .

Is it possible to have the Mac to the end of each folder. . . get the files. . .remove them from the folder and put them all into one big unorganised folder?

I searched the Drive in question for any file containing a '.' and got all of the items inside folders. . .there are 49,000 so i'm getting a spinning beachball trying to drag them into their new folder lol

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
cp `find <sourcedir> -type f` <destinationdir>/

cheers

I'm not sure what what means?

I dragged the folder contain all the folders into your sourcedir in Terminal. Is this correct? It won't let me drag it for some reason.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
!!

no need to drag anything, just type that in terminal replacing <sourcedir> and <destinationdir> with the paths to your folders!

cheers

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
!!

no need to drag anything, just type that in terminal replacing <sourcedir> and <destinationdir> with the paths to your folders!

cheers

Thanks for your help but I get:

-bash: /: Is a directory

When I type the above ?

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
post the command you are typing here :)

Aarons-MacBook-Pro:~ Aaron$ cp `find </Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SOUND\ EFFECTS/ALL\ SFX > -type f` </Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SFX >/

SOUND EFFECTS / ALL SFX contains a massive library of folders.

I want the files of all those to be copied into the 'SFX' folder in the Root of the drive.

I've probably missed a space or something lol. I appreciate your help!

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
drop the placeholders (< and >), sorry about that, old habits :p

command :

cp `find /Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SOUND\ EFFECTS/ALL\ SFX -type f` /Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SFX/

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
drop the placeholders (< and >), sorry about that, old habits :p

command :

cp `find /Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SOUND\ EFFECTS/ALL\ SFX -type f` /Volumes/SOUND\ EFFECTS/SFX/

"Argument List Too Long".

To be fair there are 48,000 items so i'll just have to do it bit by bit haha.

Appreciate you sticking through as far as you did though :)

Cheers.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
crap :D

yea, will need to break it into smaller chunks, 48.000 is too much for this quick and dirty approach.

otherwise a bash script is needed.

edit: by the way, not sure about HFS+, but having 48k files int the same folder in NTFS (windows) is a sure recipe for headaches.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
crap :D

yea, will need to break it into smaller chunks, 48.000 is too much for this quick and dirty approach.

otherwise a bash script is needed.

edit: by the way, not sure about HFS+, but having 48k files int the same folder in NTFS (windows) is a sure recipe for headaches.

I know :(:(

But I have no option. . .AVID can't search for a file. . .say. . 'Wind' in a massive folder structure. It can only search one folder. So I'm stuck with it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.