Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I'm writing this as a diehard Android lover, although I have owned iOS devices and enjoy them too. Android is well known for its customizability and options.

But I think iOS is actually easier in many ways.

Root
Android: hope you have a Nexus or that your oem supports this (e.g. HTC). For lots of users like Samsung, this is never going to happen, there is simply no exploit even after years.

iOS: jailbreak is there for every single iPhone since they are all the same hardware with no carrier limitations

Ease of rooting
Android - connect your phone to pc, install drivers, run scripts etc. Enough to scare away most people and has dangers

iPhone: you visit a website on the phone and do 1 click

Customizability
Android: if you have root and unlocked bootloader, you can run custom roms + recovery. This is a complicated process for non-tech users. If you just have root, you can run Xposed or some other root apps

iOS: no custom roms needed. Jailbreak installs Cydia, you browse the repo and there are hundreds of mods available to install via 1 click just like an app store, with reviews and ratings.

Safety
Android: you can do nandroid backup if you know how to and have custom recovery. Its again complicated and not as full featured

iOS: builtin backup/recovery via iTunes means you can be pretty safe and even backup to iCloud, restore any app and data easily.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Taking into account that this is totally wrong, the rest of the post is not better.

yep...there are sooooooo many wrong assumptions. Its like we need another one of these one platform is better than the other threads! :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Don't know why you continue to spread this FUD when I already explained to you on another forum. Let me paste it for you for remember.

It's actually easier on Android with something like Towelroot app then you can make customizations with Wanam Kit (Xposed) app without touching any partitions and you don't even need to connect to a PC. Backup is easy and granular too as you can selectively choose partitions or down to specifics apps. If you blow up Android by accident you can still boot into TWRP/CWM recovery and fully recover without PC. So, the end to end process from rooting to cutomization to recovery from non-working OS state can be PC free unlike iOS.

Furthermore, the fact that a jailbreak exists means they're taking advantage of a security vulnerability in iOS and nobody is going to waste time jailbreaking to add features to iOS that comes default on Android.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Haha, in some ways this is true. :)

Lately the jailbreak community has been rolling in releases(because of China), so for right now yes iOS root access is available to more devices for sure. However, it wasn't too long ago that we were going many months with no news and it felt like the community was on life support. Generally the tools are easier to use yes, but remember you are utilizing exploits to do them. Towelroot on android 4.4 was equally easy.

Meanwhile android has been locking things down. On lollipop it is unlocked bootloader or die. Flashing things is more complex than root exploits as well. However, you will always be able to get root, no matter what, on day one, after every update. You have to buy a bootloader unlocked phone though, which means Carrier Free / Tmobile / or Developer Edition ONLY (Or HTC anything).

I would argue that a nandroid is the most full featured backup available, but it is not "easy". You can brick an android device, but iOS is basically impossible to brick though.

I enjoy both personally :)

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Don't know why you continue to spread this FUD when I already explained to you on another forum. Let me paste it for you for remember.

Furthermore, the fact that a jailbreak exists means they're taking advantage of a security vulnerability in iOS and nobody is going to waste time jailbreaking to add features to iOS that comes default on Android.

You do realize that the vast majority of root methods (outside of Nexus devices) are all based on some exploit or other and that they're usually found within a week of release (sometimes the day of and sometimes even before release). It happens to be much easier to find something to break and exploit in Android. Just thought you'd know.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Don't know where you get that idea. Otherwise this wouldn't even be a thread. Android would be easier to mod period.

Using an unlocked boot loader to root is not utilizing an exploit.

Try actually reading the post? Android phones get rooted pretty much within the week of release whereas it usually takes months to find new exploits for iOS.

My input to the OP is this: Android rooting is much more available more of the time thanks to XDA and Android exploitability, but iOS jailbreaking is usually a much simpler procedure for the end user. Actually modding though is about the same, given that Xposed is pretty much Cydia but without as many packages.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Try actually reading the post? Android phones get rooted pretty much within the week of release whereas it usually takes months to find new exploits for iOS.

What are you talking about towelroot? That doesn't happen very often where it effects multiple devices. It is also patched by most oems

Certainly not as often as a jailbreak release

8.1.2 was jailbroken within a week, there are other examples..

Jailbreakme.com was through a freaking website..

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
What are you talking about towelroot? That doesn't happen very often where it effects multiple devices.

What. No, I'm talking about most LG phones, most Samsung phones, some HTC phones. A lot of these root methods are possible through simple APKs, and root methods are readily available for locked boot loaders the vast majority of the time.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to prevent rooting (Google doesn't seem to care about security as much) and XDA is always one step ahead and finds ways around the manufacturers' best efforts basically overnight. If you don't want to call that exploiting then it's not my problem.

8.1.2 exploits were very similar to the 8.0.x exploits, most likely some of the same ones.

----------

What are you talking about towelroot? That doesn't happen very often where it effects multiple devices. It is also patched by most oems

Jailbreakme.com was through a freaking website..

Lol did you really just refer to a 4 year old jailbreak for iOS 3.0?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You do realize that the vast majority of root methods (outside of Nexus devices) are all based on some exploit or other and that they're usually found within a week of release (sometimes the day of and sometimes even before release). It happens to be much easier to find something to break and exploit in Android. Just thought you'd know.
Really! Sources? Because all the new flagship Android phones do not have root or unlocked bootloaders exploits yet. Go over to XDA forums. They do not have root or unlocked bootloader exploits for Verizon Note 4 or AT&T Note 4.
No you can get a TMO Note 4 that can be unlocked. But that is not an exploit. Thats just what TMO does to entice more customers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/general

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-att/general

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Really! Sources? Because all the new flagship Android phones do not have root or unlocked bootloaders exploits yet. Go over to XDA forums. They do not have root or unlocked bootloader exploits for Verizon Note 4 or AT&T Note 4.
No you can get a TMO Note 4 that can be unlocked. But that is not an exploit. Thats just what TMO does to entice more customers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/general

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-att/general

No offence to your phone but it really didn't sell well. XDA's Note 4 forums are pretty dead compared to other phones, and naturally the demand for a root is low. Comparing that to iPhone 6 demand is pretty silly.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The biggest problem with this post is that it doesn't take into account that we've been having a JB for almost three months.

Before that, however, we were without one. And we waited for

- the iOS6 JB for almost half a year (from Sep. 2012 to Feb. 2013) and we were again deprived of JB'ing after March 2014 until the iOS8 JB this October
- the iOS7 JB for three months
- iOS5 JB after the very fast patching of 4.3.3 for months
etc.

That is, one just can't assume JB'ing is a "given".

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What. No, I'm talking about most LG phones, most Samsung phones, some HTC phones. A lot of these root methods are possible through simple APKs, and root methods are readily available for locked boot loaders the vast majority of the time.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to prevent rooting (Google doesn't seem to care about security as much) and XDA is always one step ahead and finds ways around the manufacturers' best efforts basically overnight. If you don't want to call that exploiting then it's not my problem.

----------

Lol did you really just refer to a 4 year old jailbreak for iOS 3.0?

I am under the impression current samsung att and Verizon models are totally locked down. Moto Verizon and att locked down. I don't follow LG. I assume you are talking about sunshine for htc, not really sure how that works. I still wager most people root via unlocked boot loader overall. You are overstating root availability on android phones imo, at least current gen phones.

And your attitude sucks :-/

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No offence to your phone but it really didn't sell well. XDA's Note 4 forums are pretty dead compared to other phones, and naturally the demand for a root is low. Comparing that to iPhone 6 demand is pretty silly.
So that would seem to contradict what you said earlier then huh? No offense though......

Originally Posted by mKTank View Post

So which Android phones are easy to break and exploit???

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
No offence to your phone but it really didn't sell well. XDA's Note 4 forums are pretty dead compared to other phones, and naturally the demand for a root is low.

Few people want to root the Note 4 because

- of Knox and losing the warranty
- the out-of-the-box firmware of the Note4 is excellent, pretty much decreasing the need for rooting.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
So that would seem to contradict what you said earlier then huh? No offense though......

The real problem here is that you're using horrible examples. I said Android phones in general, but you went and used one of the biggest flops of the year sales-wise, yelling about how it doesn't yet have root so I must be wrong.

Somethings never change with these people.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am under the impression current samsung att and Verizon models are totally locked down. Moto Verizon and att locked down. I don't follow LG. I assume you are talking about sunshine for htc, not really sure how that works. I still wager most people root via unlocked boot loader overall. You are overstating root availability on android phones imo, at least current gen phones.

And your attitude sucks :-/

Exactly....current gen Android phones are pretty locked down these days.....

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm writing this as a diehard Android lover, although I have owned iOS devices and enjoy them too. Android is well known for its customizability and options.

But I think iOS is actually easier in many ways.

Root
Android: hope you have a Nexus or that your oem supports this (e.g. HTC). For lots of users like Samsung, this is never going to happen, there is simply no exploit even after years.

iOS: jailbreak is there for every single iPhone since they are all the same hardware with no carrier limitations

Ease of rooting
Android - connect your phone to pc, install drivers, run scripts etc. Enough to scare away most people and has dangers

iPhone: you visit a website on the phone and do 1 click

Customizability
Android: if you have root and unlocked bootloader, you can run custom roms + recovery. This is a complicated process for non-tech users. If you just have root, you can run Xposed or some other root apps

iOS: no custom roms needed. Jailbreak installs Cydia, you browse the repo and there are hundreds of mods available to install via 1 click just like an app store, with reviews and ratings.

Safety
Android: you can do nandroid backup if you know how to and have custom recovery. Its again complicated and not as full featured

iOS: builtin backup/recovery via iTunes means you can be pretty safe and even backup to iCloud, restore any app and data easily.

You are somewhat right, but not for any of the reasons you listed. And some of your reasons is completely false and don't make sense.

iPhone .... It's easier to have a one size fits all solution to jailbreaking. Your only talking one or two phones, from one manufacturer, on one unmodified OS, and carriers don't touch anything on it.

Android .... Don't want to read through simple detailed directions, then you're screwed. There are too many android phones and UI layers from differ manufacturers to have a one size fits all root. Then there is what the carriers do to it.

You also compared custom roms to installing Cydia which is nothing but an app store. You don't need to root to install other app stores or apps on Android. You obviously don't understand the reason why people install custom roms.

Also with jailbreaking an iPhone. Almost every incremental update kills the jailbreak and you'll have to wait for another jailbreak. Now on Android, 9 times out of 10, you can reapply the same root method after an update. I already updated twice on the Note 4 and was able to reapply the same root method. On the iPhone you'll be extremely lucky if you can do that. You also don't hear of tethered root on Android like you have some with no options but to tether jailbreak on the iPhone

As for complete backups. I easily use TWRP to basically do an "image like" backup of my entire phone, and store on my SD card or wherever I what. And it's extremely faster than backing up or restoring an iPhone.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
So which Android phones are easy to break and exploit???

Ones that sell well. And then the usual: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-malware-threat-rears-head-time-means-business/

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The real problem here is that you're using horrible examples. I said Android phones in general, but you went and used one of the biggest flops of the year sales-wise, yelling about how it doesn't yet have root so I must be wrong.

Somethings never change with these people.
you still haven't answered a single question.

What current gen Android phone matches what you said??

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Great so again what current gen Android phones have root and unlocked bootloaders according to exploits??

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
you still haven't answered a single question.

What current gen Android phone matches what you said??
Oh so you want me to do your research for you? LG's current flagship is a prime example, rootable through an APK. Sony and HTC's flagships as well. Seems Samsung is the only one so far taking security seriously, even if it is occasionally security by obscurity.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oh so you want me to do your research for you? LG's current flagship is a prime example, rootable through an APK.
That is LG and HTC they chose not to lock at all to enhance sales. Two phone OEMs does not make all Android phones.......Then the two lowest in sales!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.