Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Ok, so I use iOS devices and a PC for work. I use iCloud for my calendars, contacts, etc. I use the web portal to view my calendars. I wanted to add US holidays to my calendar for 2015. The built in one in iOS will not sync to iCloud. So I created a new calendar called US Holidays and then I sent the holiday .ics calendar to my email account, when I click on it, it allows me to add all events to my holiday calendar.

This is where the problem starts. iCloud shows the new Holiday calendar I created, but will not sync all of the events that I add from the .ics. If I go in and manually modify one of the events, it then syncs to iCloud and the web calendar.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BTW, last year when I did this, it worked perfectly and has worked fine for other calendars (sports team schedules, etc.)

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I'd just go through and create all the Holidays events manually, with recurring dates. That's what I did and it syncs among all my devices and the web.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately that is a tedious answer to this problem. It is 2015 and with The advent of subscription calendars this should just work.
Thanks again for the suggestion though.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm on iOS 8.1.2 and do NOT sync calendars with iCloud. However, in my calendar list (in the Calendar app) there's a section called "OTHER" at the bottom which has "Birthdays" (from my contacts, I assume) and "US Holidays" (with a subtitled of "Subscribed"). I'm not subscribed, except via a Google account (and that one shows as expected), to any "US Holidays" calendar. I have no idea what this calendar is but it works. I leave it unchecked as it duplicates my other holiday calendar.

Are you in iOS 8?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately that is a tedious answer to this problem. It is 2015 and with The advent of subscription calendars this should just work.
Thanks again for the suggestion though.

I don't think it's that tedious - it took me about 15 minutes to build it and was done. You were seeking a solution and that's one that will work. I guess I'm more patient. Good luck.

reese2147

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
I don't think it's that tedious - it took me about 15 minutes to build it and was done. You were seeking a solution and that's one that will work. I guess I'm more patient. Good luck.

It may not be tedious, but it is a completely ridiculous step to take in order to view the holiday calendar on the web through iCloud.com.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
It may not be tedious, but it is a completely ridiculous step to take in order to view the holiday calendar on the web through iCloud.com.

Yep, agreed. Still, that's the solution. Complaining here won't help...feedback to Apple may have a remote shot at getting their attention. So long as it's constructive.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
So the Holiday calendar on my iOS devices works fine, but it won't sync iCloud.com, pretty ridiculous, but whatever that is a different topic.

As to your suggestion, I have done that a few times on Google Calendar (before calendar subscriptions) and I had one on iPhone too.

The fact remains, these events should sync from my phone to the cloud and that is what I am asking for help with, forcing the events to sync, not generating a holiday calendar from scratch. The .ics files exist, so creating it from scratch is not really necessary.

Again, thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't really fix my problem, my problem is sync not working, not the non-existence of the calendar.

Also, creating yearly repeats my not work for some holidays that don't occur on the same date every year.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
So the Holiday calendar on my iOS devices works fine, but it won't sync iCloud.com, pretty ridiculous, but whatever that is a different topic.

As to your suggestion, I have done that a few times on Google Calendar (before calendar subscriptions) and I had one on iPhone too.

The fact remains, these events should sync from my phone to the cloud and that is what I am asking for help with, forcing the events to sync, not generating a holiday calendar from scratch. The .ics files exist, so creating it from scratch is not really necessary.

Again, thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't really fix my problem, my problem is sync not working, not the non-existence of the calendar.

Also, creating yearly repeats my not work for some holidays that don't occur on the same date every year.

Nope, the problem isn't that sync doesn't work. The problem is iOS contains a local holiday calendar that isn't replicated on the web. If it were integrated, it would sync.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Nope, the problem is that it won't bulk sync. I created a brand-new calendar then I sent a .ics file to myself and added all of the holidays through 2016 to the new holiday calendar on my iOS devices. That worked great and all of the holiday events loaded into the new calendar I created. The problem was that it does not sync these items to iCloud.com. However, if I change anything in any of the individual events and then save the event, it will then upload that individual event to iCloud.com. So you see the problem isn't the localized calendar the problem is that it won't sync bulk items. You get what I'm saying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.