Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
If Apple are putting in Dual Core processors in their budget line of Mac's, at least at the high end, I think there is a good chance that the new iBook will also get a Core Duo option. It only makes sense. That will be a killer product, especially if it is priced right!!!!!!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
kkapoor said:
If Apple are putting in Dual Core processors in their budget line of Mac's, at least at the high end, I think there is a good chance that the new iBook will also get a Core Duo option. It only makes sense. That will be a killer product, especially if it is priced right!!!!!!

Quite possibly.The two have always been fairly similar, though the top end mini was faster than the top end iBook. Maybe there'll be one core solo and one core duo i[Mac]Book.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
That's a really good thought. After seeing the mini receiving the Solo and Duo upgrades, I don't see why the MacBook can't have the option.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
sure hope so. hopefully no integrated graphics tho. the radeon 9550 in the ibook G4 is a lot better than the 9200 in the mini, and going integrated would be a big step back.

i'm hoping 13.3" widescreen with similar processor options to the mini and x1300 graphics. If they could price them at $999 and $1199 that would be awesome, but that may be asking too much ($1199 for a core duo might hurt the MBP line too much).

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I don't think that the fact that the previous Mini and iBook were similar was a conscious design decision. If you think about it, Apple were limited in what they could do. What else could they do but put the same CPU and similar HD in the Mini?

We are more likely to see some differentiation now, with Core Solo/Duo options, up to 2 GB RAM and a dedicated GPU option, (at least that's what I'm hoping, if only so fewer people whine about it). I see solo/integrated graphics at $800, duo/dedicated GPU at $1100.

But I've always been wrong before, so this is as meaningless as all other speculation.

badmofo9000 said:
Well Dell released a 15" Core Duo laptop for like $800 bucks yesterday. If Dell can do it for $800 please god let apple be able to do it for under $1000 and I am sold.
You mean the E1505? It's a Core Solo for $779 after $200 off. Adding the Duo option brings that up to $879 ($200 off the stated $1079 price), and for that you get a 40GB HD and combo drive.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
kkapoor said:

oh my GOD!!! Have an orgasm why don't ya

JJC80

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2004
California
kkapoor said:

seriously now, is the mini really still considered budget? $799 for a computer with no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. but with a high end chip is not really low-end anymore. however, that's just my opinion. :)

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
JJC80 said:
seriously now, is the mini really still considered budget? $799 for a computer with no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. but with a high end chip is not really low-end anymore. however, that's just my opinion. :)

I agree, they are making the mini to be closer to the iMac but be the option with no monitor and therefore keep the product segmentation there. For the mac book not to step into mac book pro territory they still need to be differenciation and i think it will still be core solo...and if it is duo it will be so expensive that you'll rather get the Pro. The only possiblity is that they do not produce a 12" pro and but they make a very expensive 13" Mac Book with core duo..but i guess the reason to want a dual core ibook is to save money because it should be cheaper...if it isn't cheaper they can call it pro or not, does not make a difference.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Apple should do it. They'll be able to claim "All of our computers have at least 2 processor cores" (assuming the PowerMac and XServe get a dual core chip or 2 actual processors...no reason why they wouldn't) which is something that I think most of their Windows competition won't be able to touch.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Core duo + iBook... Sure... But you better bet that you'll see those intel graphics again in them... It is very likely that Apple is going to use GPUs to differentiate the 'Books now...

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
badmofo9000 said:
Well Dell released a 15" Core Duo laptop for like $800 bucks yesterday. If Dell can do it for $800 please god let apple be able to do it for under $1000 and I am sold.

It'll be 13", but might have an iSight :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.