Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wzrd0715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
College Station, TX
Hey everyone, before you flame me to hell (as I know it has been state by Apple executives time and time again), what do you think the possibility that the rumored "iPad Pro" is actually going to be a Hybrid Laptop/Tablet?

Again, I know Apple executives have continuously said that this is a market that they do not want to get into. But, Steve Jobs also said, "No one will ever buy a big phone".

I also know that Jobs said, "Lets not use a stylus......". (Which I'll explain in a bit)

But with J.P Morgan making a $63 billion case for why Apple should get into the hybrid market, I think the possibility is pretty reasonable. Apple has always gotten into the market later than the competition, and say that they "revolutionize" it. Although there has been some revolutionary devices that Apple has created, I would say that they are more "perfected to the user experience" than revolutionary. A hybrid would be perfect for industry, education, and obviously recreation.

A few patents that I have been following over the years have also pointed in this direction:

1) The Active Stylus
2) The Keyboard Smart Cover

Furthermore, the addition of the A7 and the newer A8 chip allow for 64-bit architecture allowing essentially a full operating system to run on the device.

Maybe its just wishful thinking, but shoot, at least I did my homework lol.

Thoughts?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The stylus of yesterday isn't like the stylus of today. You were mostly typing with it and doing handwriting back then, now the stylus is good for photo editing, drawing, and other stuff.

I think they will make APIs for the technology, but they will let other companies do the heavy work.

My feeling is that it won't be a hybrid. It will just have more elements from OS X.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I would hardly consider an iPad using an A(n) processor, running iOS(n), and a dedicated keyboard cover as a true hybrid. Still, it is something that I think Apple might market.

I don't think Apple will make a true hybrid (e.g. laptop/tablet convertable runing OSX) as it would likely cannibalize sales of the iPads. Instead, they might (and I think they should) offer a MacBook Air family member using the configuration first made popular in the Lenovo Yoga series and that is now copied by almost every major player in the Windows ultrabook market.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hybrid probably doesn't suit Apple.. A stylus is just a "smarter" stylus.

Regardless of what its called, its still a pointing device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hybrid probably doesn't suit Apple.. A stylus is just a "smarter" stylus.

Regardless of what its called, its still a pointing device.

Yes, but in the Note series of phones and the surface pro series, its shown to be a valuable tool to aide the consumer.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The only reason would be "it's handy."

So are blue-rays, yet to this day Apple kept their word on that..

Its easier to say "Steve said this" and "Steve said that." when he's not around to defend himself.

Show me proof that he said it, as like in a video.. Because i don' believe he would have changed his mind...

If he agreed on something, he would have stuck by it...

Maybe he was too hash on things, but it was the right decision... Why back down now ? Apple's going all soft

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
For those who constantly say "Steve said..." or "If Steve were in charge, he wouldn't let..." and other such things, please note: He is still dead, and not scheduled to change status.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just because a particular chip supports 64-bit extensions does not mean it can run a full-fledged desktop OS. There's still a difference between ARM-style chips (as used in MANY mobile devices) and x86 or x64 chips used in desktop/laptop computers. Desktop operating systems are coded/compiled for the x86/x64 platform, not ARM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.