Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
So my iPad air 2 arrived today, well packaged I might add.

Came with a big old dent on the back casing right out of the box. Needless to say I'm quite annoyed as I don't fancy waiting up to 2 weeks for a replacement so it means a 45 minute drive to my nearest apple store!

Thanks apple....

a68f91f45c32ab3a54451d65fdbaf57c.jpg

4571337b26aef1c6af121483fca33457.jpg

Anyone else had any QC issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That's unacceptable. Sucks you have to drive so far. Make sure they exchange it for another brand new off the shelf boxed unit and not a refurb.

The refurbs are fine for warranty replacement but not as an exchange for a damaged unit out of the box.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
Do you live in the country?

It is fortunate for me to live near an Apple Store. It takes only 5 minutes to drive there:D

It would be extremely terrible if I lived in an area which is too far from Apple Store because I often exchange many times to get a perfect iPad. :confused:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Do you live in the country?

It is fortunate for me to live near an Apple Store. It takes only 5 minutes to drive there:D

It would be extremely terrible if I lived in an area which is too far from Apple Store because I often exchange many times to get a perfect iPad. :confused:

Not everyone lives next door to an Apple Store. I'm 16 miles away from one.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not sure how it works in your country but on this side of the pond, I think you can call and they will send a replacement and then you return your damaged one within so many days. Apple did that with my 6+, they even overnighted it.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
So my iPad air 2 arrived today, well packaged I might add.

Came with a big old dent on the back casing right out of the box. Needless to say I'm quite annoyed as I don't fancy waiting up to 2 weeks for a replacement so it means a 45 minute drive to my nearest apple store!

Thanks apple....

a68f91f45c32ab3a54451d65fdbaf57c.jpg

4571337b26aef1c6af121483fca33457.jpg

Anyone else had any QC issues?

I usually replace my existing Apple laptops every two years. The deciding factor that causes me to buy sooner is the performance and reliability of the model I'm using.

Twice now in four years my BTO/CTO fully optioned MacBook Pro Retina models have had either long deep scratches or dents on the lid, or both top and bottom surfaces.

While annoying, very inconvenient, and a huge time waster, Apple has always done the right thing and replaced them. Because I have first hand experience with Apple's inconsistencies and spotty quality control, I always have each BTO/CTO order shipped to my local Apple Store.

Then when I go into pickup the product I simply request a store employee to witness the unboxing. This priceless step takes away the chance Apple would attempt to blame me.

When you buy Apple you've got to be on guard. :)

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Just an update on this; took my iPad air 2 to the Apple store only to be told that I couldn't replace it for a brand new unit because I had bought it online (seriously?!).

Anyway i had to speak to tech support on the phone in the store whilst sat at the genius bar who told me the same thing, can't replace.

The guy I saw at the genius bar understood that I had come all this way to not have it replaced (they offered me a refurb) and kindly told me to choose a free ipad case!!
ab9d2bc8b0891c678a0767818bb420ce.jpg

So the trip wasn't a waste after all ;). Apple really do have amazing customer service.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
Why did not you return the iPad then purchased a new one at the store?
Just an update on this; took my iPad air 2 to the Apple store only to be told that I couldn't replace it for a brand new unit because I had bought it online (seriously?!).

Anyway i had to speak to tech support on the phone in the store whilst sat at the genius bar who told me the same thing, can't replace.

The guy I saw at the genius bar understood that I had come all this way to not have it replaced (they offered me a refurb) and kindly told me to choose a free ipad case!! Image

So the trip wasn't a waste after all ;). Apple really do have amazing customer service.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I couldn't return it via the store, I would have to have had it returned via courier because I bought it online. Stupid I know but that's what the Genius Bar guy, the manager and the guy I spoke to on the phone said. It's a 10 day turn around for the whole process. I'm having a new one shipped out tomorrow and then I send the old one back.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Ground store have separate stock from the Online stores. Unless its a warranty replacement(refurb)/repair. You'll have to go via the online route.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
I couldn't return it via the store, I would have to have had it returned via courier because I bought it online. Stupid I know but that's what the Genius Bar guy, the manager and the guy I spoke to on the phone said. It's a 10 day turn around for the whole process. I'm having a new one shipped out tomorrow and then I send the old one back.

In the United States, we can return iPad, iPhone, Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro, etc which were purchased from apple.com at any Apple Stores

What does "courier" mean? carrier ?

So, Did they still offer you a free iPad Smart Case although you did not accept a refurbished iPad?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
In the United States, we can return iPad, iPhone, Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro, etc which were purchased from apple.com at any Apple Stores

What does "courier" mean? carrier ?

So, Did they still offer you a free iPad Smart Case although you did not accept a refurbished iPad?

Apparently not the case here. I spoke to someone on the apple online chat the same night I noticed the dent and they told me to go to the Apple Store to return for a brand new unit, when they shouldn't have. The smart case was more of a good will gesture as I had driven 40 minutes and the fact I'd be told to go to an Apple Store when I shouldn't have been.

Courier means postal service.

Yea I didn't accept as it was only a week old, within the return window.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
Apparently not the case here. I spoke to someone on the apple online chat the same night I noticed the dent and they told me to go to the Apple Store to return for a brand new unit, when they shouldn't have. The smart case was more of a good will gesture as I had driven 40 minutes and the fact I'd be told to go to an Apple Store when I shouldn't have been.

Courier means postal service.

Yea I didn't accept as it was only a week old, within the return window.

You should have bought a new one at the Apple Store and dropped off the defective iPad at Apple-appointed carrier then. You will not have to wait for a new iPad delivered to you.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Apple quality control....

You should have bought a new one at the Apple Store and dropped off the defective iPad at Apple-appointed carrier then. You will not have to wait for a new iPad delivered to you.

I used the 0% interest finance option over 12 months online which the Apple Store near me does not offer.

Trust me I weighed out all options when on the phone to apple support and this was the best one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.