Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonSeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Good afternoon,

I have assignment where I have to rip several DVD's into 1920x1080 ProRed Quicktime .mov.

I've had very little experience with codecs and ripping and would like to know what software I can use to do this. Free is preferred, but if I have to buy software for better quality then I will.

If someone could recommend a solution to my task, that would be great!

I have a windows laptop, but do have access to a mac if necessary.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Good afternoon,

I have assignment where I have to rip several DVD's into 1920x1080 ProRed Quicktime .mov.

I've had very little experience with codecs and ripping and would like to know what software I can use to do this. Free is preferred, but if I have to buy software for better quality then I will.

If someone could recommend a solution to my task, that would be great!

I have a windows laptop, but do have access to a mac if necessary.

Are they copy protected DVDs? If not, MPEG StreamClip will do the trick, but you need to make sure you have the Pro Res codecs installed as they are not standard.

Also DVDs are standard definition with a much smaller frame size. Blowing up a file to that size will only reduce the quality.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You can also use Handbrake to convert to MTS and then there is a variety of apps on the app store that will may ProRes files out of them.

If you have a bunch of DVDs, it would be faster to first use disk utility to make a DVD disk image on the hard drive and then let handbrake, or converter of your choice work on the disk image.

If you have hundred of DVDs, someone wrote up a script that automates the process, discussed over in theHome theater forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/100/

You may want to glance through that forum for ideas.

JonSeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Are they copy protected DVDs? If not, MPEG StreamClip will do the trick, but you need to make sure you have the Pro Res codecs installed as they are not standard.

Also DVDs are standard definition with a much smaller frame size. Blowing up a file to that size will only reduce the quality.

These are just regular DVDs of films. How badly will the quality be reduced to? As long as I get a good clear picture, I'm happy.

----------

You can also use Handbrake to convert to MTS and then there is a variety of apps on the app store that will may ProRes files out of them.

If you have a bunch of DVDs, it would be faster to first use disk utility to make a DVD disk image on the hard drive and then let handbrake, or converter of your choice work on the disk image.

If you have hundred of DVDs, someone wrote up a script that automates the process, discussed over in theHome theater forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/100/

You may want to glance through that forum for ideas.

It's about 10 DVDs...would I be able to convert the disk image into ProRes? I currently have handbrake but didn't see the option for ProRes.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
These are just regular DVDs of films. How badly will the quality be reduced to? As long as I get a good clear picture, I'm happy.

----------

It's about 10 DVDs...would I be able to convert the disk image into ProRes? I currently have handbrake but didn't see the option for ProRes.

You will get the same quality video, the point was its not going to look any better than playing it in a DVD player that upscales.

Handbrake does not currently do Prores, so if you choose that route, its a two step process. DVD (or DVD image) to MKV or mp4 via HB, then there are a few apps that convert to Prores.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
You will get the same quality video, the point was its not going to look any better than playing it in a DVD player that upscales.

Thats not true. DVD players use a hardware scaler to enlarge the size of the video in real time.

Software works much differently. When you take a digital file you "stretch" the image to fit a larger frame: http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/13/1080_and_640.jpg

While many high end software options use algorithms to produce a better quality image you are not going to get anything close to true hd.

To the OP: what is the need to go to 1080 and use the prores codecs? What are you ultimately trying to do? There could be a better way that would help reduce the quality loss.

JonSeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Thats not true. DVD players use a hardware scaler to enlarge the size of the video in real time.

Software works much differently. When you take a digital file you "stretch" the image to fit a larger frame: http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/13/1080_and_640.jpg

While many high end software options use algorithms to produce a better quality image you are not going to get anything close to true hd.

To the OP: what is the need to go to 1080 and use the prores codecs? What are you ultimately trying to do? There could be a better way that would help reduce the quality loss.

It's for a client that wants to do a sizzle reel of his previous work. We have the DVDs, my task is to convert them in the specs he needs so he could edit them.

Wyl

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Canada
Why ProRes 1920x1080? If you are ripping standard DVDs you don't need it in a ProRes HD.

I would suggest using MPEG StreamClip and ripping the videos to 'Apple Intermediate Codec' (100% quality) in the unscaled format of the VOB file. Then you can use a program to edit the files up to 1080 and export them as ProRes. FCPX would do a better job up-scaling.

As for your workflow...

1. Copy VOB files from disc to computer
2. Convert each VOB file using MPEG StreamClip.
3. In FCPX combine all MOVs into one timeline and export to ProRes.

But you want to do it in one step...

screenshot2010-03-30at9.20.48am.png

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
It's for a client that wants to do a sizzle reel of his previous work. We have the DVDs, my task is to convert them in the specs he needs so he could edit them.

I would suggest what Wyl said above. But rip the DVDs unscaled to ProRes and let the editing software do the scaling.

By doing it this way, you are not losing image quality by scaling it first then rendering effects and such on top of it. Its all being done in one step.

AND if the final output is just for the web and if its a personal sizzle reel, I wouldn't worry so much about making it HD. I hire a lot of DP's and editors and am more interested in the content quality and how its edited together. Now for colorists its a little different as you want to make sure the before and afters are really distinguishable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.