Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have my all of my family's Macs setup to backup to our 3TB Time Capsule wirelessly. That was easy to set up and do, and so far I've had no issues with that.

However, now I'm trying to restore my own backup to a new Mac via a direct Ethernet connection and I am having no luck whatsoever. All I know to do is to go into TC settings in Airport Utility and change the Wireless setting to "Off" and/or turn the Capsule to Bridge Mode. I have reset this thing multiple times trying all these things and still no luck. I just cannot get my Mac to see the TC. Theoretically, if the TC is set to Wireless Off, my computer should be able to see it when wired directly via Ethernet right?

I guess I just need to know the proper steps. Usually our TC is our router, too, but I've put us on a different network with a different router. And I just have the TC plugged to the wall, and to my laptop via Ethernet solely to restore my backup to my computer via a hardwired connection. I have tried switching between the WAN port and the various LAN ports on the TC, and different Ethernet cables in case one was faulty. No luck no matter what I try. I feel like I am just taking the wrong steps.

Any help/advice is appreciated. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.