Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has frequently offered accurate information on Apple's product plans based on supply chain information, has released a new report outlining his expectations for the company's chips over the next several years. Kuo highlights a diversified supplier lineup for Apple's A-series chips used in its iOS devices, with TSMC, Samsung, and GlobalFoundries all contributing to production.

Kuo sees the 2015 chip breakdown with the A9 chip destined for this year's iPhones being shared by Samsung and GlobalFoundries, while TSMC handles the A9X that would be used in iPad models. That split is projected to flip in 2016, with TSMC handling the A10 iPhone chips and Samsung being responsible for A10X iPad chips.

kuo_chip_suppliers_2015_2016.jpg

Perhaps most enticingly, Kuo projects that Apple could begin launching ARM-based Macs in the next year or two based on its custom chip designs.
Apple may launch Mac products that use own AP in next 1-2 years. This prediction is based on the assumption that Apple's self-developed AP performs at a level between Intel's Atom and Core i3 and is good enough for Mac. Using self- developed AP can help Apple better control the timing of Mac launches and Mac product features.
Use of A-series chips in Macs would certainly be limited to lower-end devices at first, but Apple's emphasis on controlling its supply chain and the improving performance of Apple's A-series ARM chips compared to low-end Intel chips could lead to a shift in the coming years.

Kuo also looks at the Apple Watch, where Samsung has been reported to be handling the primary portion of Apple's custom "S1" chip for the upcoming smartwatch. He believes, however, that TSMC will take over responsibility in 2016 for the S2 in the second-generation Apple Watch.

Kuo certainly does not have a perfect track record with his claims over the years, but he is reliable enough that his predictions are followed closely. Given muddled rumors of Apple's chip partnerships for future devices, it will be interesting to watch how these supplier deals play out over time.

Article Link: Apple Diversifies Chip Orders for iOS Device and Apple Watch Amid Predictions of ARM Macs

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sorry but once they stop making Intel mac, is the day I stop buying them :(

I think its a really bad idea to drop x86 platform, I can only see bad things from this shift including a more locking down of OS X. Think walled garden for OS X as well.

Reactions: jjduru

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
I still dont get why people want to see ARM based Macs. Or the prediction at the end of the decade. Why? I only see headaches with this idea.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014

I think its a really bad idea to drop x86 platform, I can only see bad things from this shift including a more locking down of OS X. Think walled garden for OS X as well.

huh? why?

people probably said the same thing with PPC.

Moving to ARM gives them a whole lot more flexibility and they're not tied to Intel's timeline.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I still dont get why people want to see ARM based Macs. Or the prediction at the end of the decade. Why? I only see headaches with this idea.

Agreed 100 percent. Intel is the reason Macs gained so much marketshare. (Well one of the reasons). Having gone through the other transitions (68K to PPC), (OS9 to OSX), (PPC to Intel), its a nightmare and only worthwhile if there are significant benefits which I really really don't see. Loss of Windows compatibility, loss of program compatibility and the list goes on and on.

A move to ARM would be a form over function move, to further slim down computers which are slim enough.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Oh, wow. I thought $1000 for a dual-core i7 Mac mini was ridiculous. Can't wait until I get to buy a $500 to $1000 Mac mini with "between Atom and i3" performance.

NYC Matt

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Umm, NYC
Why does anyone listen to Kuo anymore?

This guy has a horrible track record. Why, why, why does MacRumors continue to post his nonsense?

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008

Maybe they don't drop x86 altogether, but just use ARM in the lower end range like Macbook Airs. Pro users could still run legacy apps on an Intel Mac. If the ARM range gets more succesful and more software is compiled to run on ARM, then consider dropping the Intel models.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
huh? why?

Moving to ARM gives them a whole lot more flexibility and they're not tied to Intel's timeline.

Some people did, but there were clear advantages to moving into Intel, and besides slimmer computers and lower power there seems to be little advantage to making yet another massive move where everything becomes outdated, stable software has to be rewritten, lack of Windows Virtualisation or native boot camp, loss support for existing Intel Macs that would have probably been supported for longer. The list goes on and on.

Does the iMac really need to be slimmer?

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has frequently offered accurate information on Apple's product plans based on supply chain information, has released a new report outlining his expectations for the company's chips over the next several years.

Kuo certainly does not have a perfect track record with his claims over the years, but he is reliable enough that his predictions are followed closely. Given muddled rumors of Apple's chip partnerships for future devices, it will be interesting to watch how these supplier deals play out over time.

Make up your minds Mac Rumors!!!

If they do see a complete switch to ARM then I'm going to hold off on upgrading until I can see the pros and cons realized by others.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Maybe they don't drop x86 altogether, but just use ARM in the lower end range like Macbook Airs. Pro users could still run legacy apps on an Intel Mac. If the ARM range gets more succesful and more software is compiled to run on ARM, then consider dropping the Intel models.

That would be a huge nightmare though! Two separate platforms, confusion, Intel models being VERY expensive and out of reach etc.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Agreed 100 percent. Intel is the reason Macs gained so much marketshare. (Well one of the reasons). Having gone through the other transitions (68K to PPC), (OS9 to OSX), (PPC to Intel), its a nightmare and only worthwhile if there are significant benefits which I really really don't see. Loss of Windows compatibility, loss of program compatibility and the list goes on and on.

A move to ARM would be a form over function move, to further slim down computers which are slim enough.

Loss of Windows compatibility is a lot less important than before from the developer perspective considering the ever increasing money to be made on the arm side... Even Microsoft seems to be agreeing with that now. It's own software seem to be more and more platform agnostic. 2014 is NOT 1990

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013

This is exactly it. The only argument for ARM I give is for Apples own timeline. Okay well thats about it.

ARM is not getting that fast on the same level as Intel. Yes Intel ****ed themselves for not getting fast enough to this making mobile and efficient chips thing but with now with broadwell and soon skylake they are up to the game. Then there is the thing for ARM to get such fast chips. Which one will be easier for the companies?
Has anyone seen tablet computers on CES which where ridiculous thin and running on broadwell? This is crazy for intel chips.

And dont get this idea for Macbook Air/Mini with ARM chips and macbook pro / mac pro with Intel. This is an even bigger nightmare. Double the binaries developers have to make? Confuse the costumers which version can run on which machine? Angry customers why application Z is only in x86 binary and can not run on your ARM based machine? Hell no.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
huh? why?

Why because I'll not be able to use the software I need. I use windows and OS X. Plus what about the software, do you think Adobe will be all that quick to produce a full lightroom or photoshop version?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
That would be a huge nightmare though! Two separate platforms, confusion, Intel models being VERY expensive and out of reach etc.

How is it confusing? Cross compiling has never been easier and from the user side, it would be nearly transparent. Do they really need to know that the hardware is different underneath?

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
I switched to Mac OSX because it was the based GUI for any Unix based OS I had ever seen. And they kept making it better and better. Until 10.7

If they move to all ARM machines except the Pro (which I can't afford), I'm out.

beeskward

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Some people did, but there were clear advantages to moving into Intel, and besides slimmer computers and lower power there seems to be little advantage to making yet another massive move where everything becomes outdated, stable software has to be rewritten, lack of Windows Virtualisation or native boot camp, loss support for existing Intel Macs that would have probably been supported for longer. The list goes on and on.

Does the iMac really need to be slimmer?

Exactly... I rely heavily on Virtualization to do my software development work, and also use boot camp quite a bit. I'd absolutely have to leave the Mac platform for good if this happens. I'm really hoping this isn't true.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
This is exactly it. The only argument for ARM I give is for Apples own timeline. Okay well thats about it.

ARM is not getting that fast on the same level as Intel. Yes Intel ****ed themselves for not getting fast enough to this making mobile and efficient chips thing but with now with broadwell and soon skylake they are up to the game. Then there is the thing for ARM to get such fast chips. Which one will be easier for the companies?
Has anyone seen tablet computers on CES which where ridiculous thin and running on broadwell? This is crazy for intel chips.

And dont get this idea for Macbook Air/Mini with ARM chips and macbook pro / mac pro with Intel. This is an even bigger nightmare. Double the binaries developers have to make? Confuse the costumers which version can run on which machine? Angry customers why application Z is only in x86 binary and can not run on your ARM based machine? Hell no.

If your app is backed (saved as a purchase), you don't care what platform it runs on. You install the app and that's it! From the devellopper side, Apple is pretty good at providing develloppers with all the tools to make their life easy.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
If your app is backed (saved as a purchase), you don't care what platform it runs on. You install the app and that's it! From the devellopper side, Apple is pretty good at providing develloppers with all the tools to make their life easy.

I'm not talking about the Mac app store, with its own restrictions keeps enough apps out of the store and you have to buy and handle yourself.

Yes for the appstore it might be easier.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Why do people always take things to an extreme and jump to conclusions?!? Where does making a low-end ARM Mac mean Apple is dropping the x86 platform? When has Apple even come close to hinting they were thinking about abandoning Intel?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Considering how much more successful they've been with their own ARM designs vs the off-the-shelf chips their competitors use in the smartphone arena, I see this as a potentially huge positive.

If they can figure out how to easily emulate/migrate traditional x86 programs to ARM, they'll be able to finely tune the chips to each device likely increasing power, efficiency and overall usability.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Why because I'll not be able to use the software I need. I use windows and OS X. Plus what about the software, do you think Adobe will be all that quick to produce a full lightroom or photoshop version?

The Intel transition started June 2006, Adobe had a Intel PS beta out December 2006.

I don't think Apple really care about people who need Windows/Boot Camp.

What exactly would create a "walled garden for OS X"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.