Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Was just trying to make a simple forum post elsewhere with 4 Safari tabs open on my iPad Air (1st Gen) and boy was it a pain? I'd enter the subject for my thread, then come back to the other tab to copy a few lines of text and then went back to my post, boom....refresh. Had to type the subject all over again. Then I pasted the text, and hoped that when I switch tabs again to copy the URL link it won't refresh again. I was wrong. I ended up composing my entire post (subject, body, link) in the Notes tab and they copy pasted everything. What a horrible user experience. iPad as a laptop replacement my a**. This is BS.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Was just trying to make a simple forum post elsewhere with 4 Safari tabs open on my iPad Air (1st Gen) and boy was it a pain? I'd enter the subject for my thread, then come back to the other tab to copy a few lines of text and then went back to my post, boom....refresh. Had to type the subject all over again. Then I pasted the text, and hoped that when I switch tabs again to copy the URL link it won't refresh again. I was wrong. I ended up composing my entire post (subject, body, link) in the Notes tab and they copy pasted everything. What a horrible user experience. iPad as a laptop replacement my a**. This is BS.
I've never had such problems doing exactly what you described using my original iPad mini, and I do such copy/paste operations constantly, with more than 4 tabs open. No, the iPad is not designed to be a replacement for a notebook computer, but I've found that the iPad mini has replaced about 90% of my need for a computer.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't plan on upgrading my iPad 2 till the iPad Air 3 or 4 comes out and my iPhone 5 till the 7 or 7S (By which time hopefully we'll have moved past even 2GB of ram).

I have no problems on the iPhone 5, which is zippy. The iPad 2 does have some reloading but I've learnt to live with it.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I really can't understand why these webpages can't be "suspended" somehow, i.e. stored on-disk temporarily instead of throwing everything away and reloading THE. ENTIRE. PAGE.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
My next device will indeed have at least 2GB RAM. But that is because: Since 1GB RAM works so well for me right now, by the time I upgrade, all new iOS devices will have at least 2GB RAM.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
RAM definitely matters--even on iOS devices-- and I won't buy any Apple product with an insufficient amount. 1GB is most definitely insufficient these days--its a joke really.

Actually, by next year 2GB of RAM will probably not be great either.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
The RAM issue is noticeable, but not enough of a problem to dissuade me from buying a product if the product works well otherwise (which is the case for the 1GB Apple stuff I own).

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It used to be quite annoying, but since a recent(ish) update it has been much more useable.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Well, if I'm going to get another iOS device, it'll likely be the IpT6, but that's only going to have 0.5 to 1 GB RAM, so "yes".

I sort of regret not snagging a 16 GB Ipad Air at Micro Center for $300.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The poll is sort of invalid because anyone buying a tablet now is likely to get the Air 2 which already has the 2GB.

As for 1GB vs2GB: sure, more is better but I have never had a problem with Safari on my Air as far as tabs go. I tend to only have 2-3 opened at once and that's usually my max but either way, it works and I never page refreshes that cost me any form data or whatever.

I understand that heavy tab users have problems and the Air 2 makes them happier. That's cool. To each their own.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I've never had such problems doing exactly what you described using my original iPad mini, and I do such copy/paste operations constantly, with more than 4 tabs open. No, the iPad is not designed to be a replacement for a notebook computer, but I've found that the iPad mini has replaced about 90% of my need for a computer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pEgZ-SIVI

Here is a video of my iPad air reloading with just two tabs and only safari running. I guess two tabs is considered a heavy tab user these days.

I will NEVER buy another iOS product with less than 2-gigs of ram again.

I swear that the people claiming they don't have this issue are either lying, or don't even know what it means to reload.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The poll is sort of invalid because anyone buying a tablet now is likely to get the Air 2 which already has the 2GB.

As for 1GB vs2GB: sure, more is better but I have never had a problem with Safari on my Air as far as tabs go. I tend to only have 2-3 opened at once and that's usually my max but either way, it works and I never page refreshes that cost me any form data or whatever.

I understand that heavy tab users have problems and the Air 2 makes them happier. That's cool. To each their own.

Previous gen Ipads can be had at nontrivial discounts, so I wouldn't count those out.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pEgZ-SIVI

Here is a video of my iPad air reloading with just two tabs and only safari running. I guess two tabs is considered a heavy tab user these days.

I will NEVER buy another iOS product with less than 2-gigs of ram again.

I swear that the people claiming they don't have this issue are either lying, or don't even know what it means to reload.

Better get ready to stuff your face with humble pie.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
So here comes the humble pie train I suppose. :rolleyes:

No where did I claim this happens every time. What I have claimed is that it happens. Like the OP, I can only take having my hand burned so many times in the fire, before I simply don't put my hand in the fire anymore.

Go ahead and make your videos of safari with two tabs not refreshing. It only proves the it doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does not make my video invalid.

1Gig of RAM is not sufficient in an iOS tablet to write forum posts while researching items in a separate tab. Every link, every story, every search is a turn at Russian roulette with respect to your original post disappearing. My video proves that fact.

Two tab safari browsing power users like the OP and I will not get duped again with 1Gig of RAM. I'm happy the rest of you 1Gigers can be living on the edge, but it's a royal pain for me.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
No way. 2gb or bust. Wasn't going to buy the air 2 until I found out it had 2gb. I love this thing.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
So here comes the humble pie train I suppose. :rolleyes:

No where did I claim this happens every time. What I have claimed is that it happens. Like the OP, I can only take having my hand burned so many times in the fire, before I simply don't put my hand in the fire anymore.

Go ahead and make your videos of safari with two tabs not refreshing. It only proves the it doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does not make my video invalid.

1Gig of RAM is not sufficient in an iOS tablet to write forum posts while researching items in a separate tab. Every link, every story, every search is a turn at Russian roulette with respect to your original post disappearing. My video proves that fact.

Two tab safari browsing power users like the OP and I will not get duped again with 1Gig of RAM. I'm happy the rest of you 1Gigers can be living on the edge, but it's a royal pain for me.

Totally missing the point and ignoring how you insult everyone and slanderously accuse them of lying. So you are saying you were just a little bit of a drama queen.

Of course it can happen at times, nobody will deny that. It just all depends on many many many different factors. And you know what it can even happen with 2, 4, 8GB of ram ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.