Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kds1

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Was curious to know how many people spoke more than one language here and which ones. List what you speak, and tell which one is your native tongue.

I speak English (native), French, Spanish, with Portuguese on the way.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I'm fluent in English, French (native) Spanish (native). With that, I've never felt the need to learn another language, although I've started taking some German lessons online, but it's mostly for fun (I'm not sure "fun" is the right word to use with "learn German", however).
I also understand enough Portuguese to read a magazine or a book with near full comprehension, but I cannot speak a word. I can also understand some Italian, since it's so close to French and Spanish.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Dutch: C2 - native
English: B2 - high professional
French: B1 - professional
Spanish: A2 - intermediate
German: A1 - beginner

But 100% of Flemish people (45 and younger) are minimum trio-langual, French is mandatory in school from 10 years on and English from 12 years on for all students.

luvmymbpr

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
English and basic German. Us Americans have it really bad for languages. Our language programs in high school and college are horrible, and we can't immerse ourselves in that language unless we want to hop a plane to Europe or risk being stabbed in a Spanish neighborhood.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
English, Portuguese, and Spanish. All three are my native languages.

Very Basic French. Learning Mandarin at the moment, and trying hard to stick to it.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
English
Arabic
Spanish

Looking back I'm so glad I took 4 years of Spanish in high school. Although It is limited I can make casual conversation and it's really enjoyable.

kds1

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
English and basic German. Us Americans have it really bad for languages. Our language programs in high school and college are horrible, and we can't immerse ourselves in that language unless we want to hop a plane to Europe or risk being stabbed in a Spanish neighborhood.

It depends, I studied French at the New School, and had an awesome Professor. Likewise had great instructors in Spanish in high school and undergrad. Spanish is quite prevelant in the U.S., and Quebec is right next door if you'd like to immerse yourself in French.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Fluent: Modern English (both American and English)
Understand, but have can barely hold a conversation: Vietnamese and Early Modern English (when the English stop speaking French to Willie Shakespeare)
Rudimentary: Middle English (Chaucer), Japanese and Klingonese. I know what "petaQ" means.:D:p

Obibob

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
l,estartit spain
languages

english native little Spanish little Catalan forgot dog
live & work in Spain you just got to love the weather:):):)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.