Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
So I need a new router, with my old one not sending out enough signals compared to what we pay for. So after talking with my Internet distributor, they said that I should get a new one and I thought of the AirPort Extreme.

But is there other alternates to the AirPort Extreme that may be better for the same price? Or is the AirPort a good router for the price?

If someone needs it to better help me, I have a Wi-Fi connection rating from 12-26 Mbit/s download speed and 0,7-2 Mbit/s upload speed.

And I don't have much knowledge of routers so I don't know if there are other "Apple friendly" routers other than AirPort Extreme. But if thats what will be recommended I will consider the AirPort Extreme of course.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Airport Extreme = Easy/Fast/Stable

I have found the AirPort Extreme to be by far the easiest and most stable prosumer router you can buy.

I agree. The features that you are likely to need are accessible and useful. Depending on whether you want 802.11 AC speed, any of the later editions should work for you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Was there a large jump in performance between the 4th and 5th gen?

They were both still 802.11n, but the fifth gen. ramped up the output power quite a bit, so if you have a fringe wifi coverage area, the newer one might overcome that.

Here is a chart from the wiki page.

5bqQceZ.png

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
They were both still 802.11n, but the fifth gen. ramped up the output power quite a bit, so if you have a fringe wifi coverage area, the newer one might overcome that.

Here is a chart from the wiki page.

5bqQceZ.png

I appreciate the info. Even though I am in an 1100 sq ft apartment, my wifi range from my Uverse gateway is terrible. Looks like maybe I should stick with the 5th gen.

Thanks again!

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Wall to Wall Waves

...Looks like maybe I should stick with the 5th gen...

Yes, power is good! More power is better.

Used 5th Gen Airport Extremes are available on eBay for less than $80. If you are careful you can find one in pristine condition. Do not buy a broken router! Make sure that they are sending everything including the cord and that the power supply is good. Mine sold for less than $60 and came in the original box with manual and everything. I just saw a new one for under $130 but that price would drive me to look closer at the 6th Gen Airport Extreme.

Both of you should choose the 5th Gen over the 4th Gen.

Ripley said it best with "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.