Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craig0ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Sorry to bother everyone with one of these posts, but for some reason, I can convert any kind of video file under the sun on my computer except WMV. (I hate that freakin' file format.)

Specifically, I'll use MMCONVERT, Videora iPod Converter, DivX Pro Converter, etc. and some will just put a garbage, blank 0 byte mp4 file into the director and say conversion complete - others just say conversion failed. I am truly stumped!

Anyway - I was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue and/or had a suggestion? At this point I believe it is probably codec related somehow but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks in advance, ladies and gentlemen.
-Craig

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
ffmpegx? iSquint?

I'm not sure that they work, but I'm doing a test right now with both and they appear to be doing their thing. Assuming they both work I would suggest iSquint if you're planning to use the files for your iPod exclusively. Otherwise there are a number of different encoding options with ffmpegx.

I'll update this post when I figure out if these two work.

Edit: Ok, ffmpegx didn't work. It output separate audio and video files which lacked both audio and video respectively. Also, from what I remember iSquint was based off of ffmpegx so I'm not holding out much hope.

Edit 2: Alright I'm amazed. iSquint output a working iPod video file from my test .wmv. Hope that works for you.

craig0ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Ooops.... I totally forgot to specify (and I'm kind of embarassed to admit) - for the time being, I am on a Windows machine. :(

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
craig0ry said:
Ooops.... I totally forgot to specify (and I'm kind of embarassed to admit) - for the time being, I am on a Windows machine. :(
Wow. So you're trying to do it on a Windows machine?
Sort of ironic if you can do it on Mac but not Windows, is it not? XD :)
Sry, don't know how to help....

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
You can try Tunebite. AFAIK, it is free.

I bought and paid for MuvAudio before Tunebite was a viable solution. Either one can convert WMAs to MP3s so you can play them on your iPod.

You can check out CD Freaks for more info on programs like these two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.