Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may boost the amount of internal RAM and use faster LPDDR4 RAM technology in its next-generation iPhone 6s, claims TechNews Taiwan (via G Gor Games). These RAM modules offer low power consumption and a significant performance increase over the 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM used in the current-generation iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

iphone6-stock.jpg
According to supply chain sources, the LPDDR4 RAM modules for the iPhone 6s will be supplied primarily by Hynix, Samsung, and Micron-Elpida. Elpida reportedly was behind schedule, but the company allegedly improved its manufacturing process to a level that will meet Apple's demand. Micron-Elpida and Hynix were identified in iFixit teardown analyses as the RAM suppliers for Apple's current iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models.

Apple's next-generation iPhone also is rumored to sport the same design as the iPhone 6 with internal improvements such as an A9 processor and a dual-lens DSLR quality camera. Today's report also hints at the adoption of "Force Touch" technology as seen on the Apple Watch to differentiate between quick taps and more forceful presses.

It is not clear, however, how Apple would implement such a system on the iPhone as it would appear to require a major shift in display technology for the device given that the Apple Watch uses a flexible OLED display paired with electrode sensors to support the Force Touch feature.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Rumored to Include 2GB of Faster RAM and 'Force Touch' Technology

nav92

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2013
About time. Really. And don't forget about more tabs of snappier Safari.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If we're already looking at fading technologies from the watch into the phone, I'd suspect the taptic engine may have real benefits over the traditional vibration motor found in phones today.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
The iPhone 7 will feature "Force Lightning" and "Force Choke" for the space gray option, while the silver option will feature "Force Push" and "Force Healing"

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The RAM increase is really the only feature that would make me want to upgrade from a 6.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
But I just bought this one!!

That is how it goes in the electronics world.

If your phone is working well for you, that is all that really matters. Trying to keep up with the latest and greatest is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

At this point, the article is nothing but rumor. We have seen enough rumor articles posted here to know, that a lot of them are crap.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Another reason why, I always buy the mid cycle iPhones e.g iPhone 4s, 5s...

But only now is that working out with regards to RAM. The 4S had the same RAM as the 4 and the 5S had the same RAM as the 5.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Having only 1GB ram is laughable at this point.

Apple has it's hands in so many pies at this point, the phone doesn't work as advertised, i.e. broken airplay, it gets hot as s#h!t when too many apps are going, the constant glitches in software.

Only good things can come from this.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
Personally the biggest feature I look for in the new iPhone is the camera upgrade...which also seems to be the hardest to anticipate. I highly doubt they implement a dual lens feature.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SURE! I love the iPhone's camera, but let's not go overboard. To get the sensor of that size in a phone's camera is not possible, even by Apple's standard.

Two companies have already fit 1" sensors in smartphones. Its not DSLR, but a damn sight better than the tiny one in the iPhone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Having only 1GB ram is laughable at this point.

Apple has it's hands in so many pies at this point, the phone doesn't work as advertised, i.e. broken airplay, it gets hot as s#h!t when too many apps are going, the constant glitches in software.

Only good things can come from this.
If your phone is having that kind of trouble, you need to return it or take it to the Genius Bar for repair or replacement.

Not all iPhones have problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.