Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Xiomi Mi Note and Note Pro

It will be interesting to see if Xiaomi ever fully attempt a western release. Huawei have made a decent attempt, but Xiaomi seem content on the Asian market so far.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Their hardware is just as good as the big guys, and much cheaper.

The software (MIUI) is a LOT better. I wish there was a way to buy these phones here with LTE support.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Don't think they really care about the west at the moment. The domestic market and countries like India have more buying power for their cheap devices.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Their hardware is just as good as the big guys, and much cheaper.

The software (MIUI) is a LOT better. I wish there was a way to buy these phones here with LTE support.

Yup, my bro-in-law was visiting and let me try his Redmi Note ($150). MIUI is really nice, much better than TouchWiz and stock Android.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I just looked the redmi note up on ebay, there are a bunch to be bought from 188 or so

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Sick, I'll buy it. I'm kind of sick of Samsung but I stay with them because I need the note functions.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I just looked the redmi note up on ebay, there are a bunch to be bought from 188 or so

Before you buy, just be aware that the Redmi note does not support US 3G/4G/LTE bands. I believe its limited to UMTS 900/2100.

You probably are already aware of this, but the Redmi Note (budget model) is not the same as the Mi Note (top of the line model).

xdigi

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Can the tech community please stop fawning over cheap Chinese knockoffs because it's just getting silly at this point and becoming hard to take you all seriously.

AndriOS871221

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Can the tech community please stop fawning over cheap Chinese knockoffs because it's just getting silly at this point and becoming hard to take you all seriously.

Why? The hardware is awesome and the software is good. I have flashed their OS on my Android phone, it is awesome.

By the way, you can say something to LG, Samsung several years before, now they are dominating players.

xdigi

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Why? The hardware is awesome and the software is good. I have flashed their OS on my Android phone, it is awesome.

By the way, you can say something to LG, Samsung several years before, now they are dominating players.

Let's be honest, Chinese tech is never good; it's cheap.

And of course the software is good because it's, essentially, iOS, since that's what they ripped off.

AndriOS871221

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015

And of course the software is good because it's, essentially, iOS, since that's what they ripped off.

You never used Lenovo stuff? Nor did you ever heard Hwaiwei? Xiaomi does takes some inspiration from iOS, it is way beyond locked down OS.

You should try some Chinese tech products before you making such claim.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013

Chinese TECH? They use almost the same component every other Android is using/going to use. You are the worsest kind, ignorant and "chic". They are just a Chinese company which uses modern components and a great custom Android. Plus a great design. That doesn't make them any worse than SAMEsung or LG.

This "Chinese" hate has to stop. Hell, they are the third mobile manufacturer behind Apple and SAMEsung.

DigitalRev

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Times change, apparently some people don't. By the way, Kodak is no longer a leader in photo tech.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Chinese TECH? They use almost the same component every other Android is using/going to use. You are the worsest kind, ignorant and "chic". They are just a Chinese company which uses modern components and a great custom Android. Plus a great design. That doesn't make them any worse than SAMEsung or LG.

This "Chinese" hate has to stop. Hell, they are the third mobile manufacturer behind Apple and SAMEsung.

So true. Chinese tech is used to make most devices anyway....

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013

What an ignorant statement. Go learn and use the products, then you can talk.

I've used MIUI for a long time, its also a custom rom for any Android phone, the only thing in common with iOS is the lack of app drawer, and its not like Apple invented that concept.

MIUI has tons of innovations that were later copied by everyone else.

And what's 'Chinese tech' ?? Your precious iPhone is made in the same factories by the same workers using same components.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Xiaomi-Mi-Box-mini.jpg

I want it :eek:

I know Jonathan Ive claims they are copier
I must admit, their products appeal very attractive

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
From what I have seen they make good quality devices with specs to rival most other Android opponents. This satisfies the spec enthusiasts. I can't fit the life of me understand why they shamelessly copy Samsung and Apple though? Just create their own style and they'd succeed in any western market I am sure.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Xiomi Mi Note and Note Pro

And where is the iPhone manufactured ?
And where are the someone stop the iPhone manufactured?

Answer those questions and realise how your responses are very ignorant and bordering on being a zealot.

Yes there are some Chinese phones which mimic and copy western phones and are sold to idiotic & greedy westerners who think that if they spend €100 on a copy they will get the same hardware and experience as a €600 flagship the device copies.

But.... That is not all phones made in China and certainly not indicative of a whole.

----------

I want it :eek:

I know Jonathan Ive claims they are copier

I must admit, their products appeal very attractive

In fairness Apple need to stop saying who is copying who (because good design gets copied by everyone - Apple have done it many times themselves in the past) and actually concentrate on innovation. Something that has been very much in decline at Apple both in hardware and Macintosh software. The last few years of Macintosh professional software has been arguably a big decline in quality & functionality - leaving new software more limited in functionality over older editions.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I'm just waiting to see the Z4, G4, S6 or the next HTC. If they are meh, then this Pro is my next phone. And this is coming from a guy using iPhone for the past 3-4 years. I want an Android, just for the sake of changing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.